Home
Posted By: jaybass hacking macs - 03/08/16 02:01 PM
OS 10.6.8 Safari 5.1.10 Is there a way of checking your computer for the latest ransom infection before it you become aware of it, which I understand is about 3 days later? I did read something about a software that does just that...?
jaybass
Posted By: MacManiac Re: hacking macs - 03/08/16 04:00 PM
Take a look HERE for the specifics.....

If you haven't installed the v2.90 release of the BitTorrent application, "Transmission" then you haven't been infected.

That corrupted installer was identified and pulled down from distribution before even 7,000 downloads had occurred....AND the certificate that it depends on for installation has been revoked by Apple.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: hacking macs - 03/08/16 05:20 PM
... and the newer versions of transmission will detect that malware and remove it automatically when you update. THAT was nicely done.
Posted By: jaybass Re: hacking macs - 03/09/16 02:07 PM
I am relieved to know I'm not infected.
jaybass
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: hacking macs - 03/14/16 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: MacManiac
AND the certificate that it depends on for installation has been revoked by Apple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that certificate only prevented gatekeeper from letting it install without complaint. Users that had disabled or dialed back gatekeeper's default settings from their most restrictive ("only allow signed apps") could still install it.
Posted By: deniro Re: hacking macs - 03/14/16 05:12 PM
My assumption has been that BitTorrent is used mainly for dowloading software (and movies, I guess) illegally. Why take the risk? Buy the software.
Posted By: Ira L Re: hacking macs - 03/15/16 09:35 AM
BitTorrent can also be used for legitimate file transfers between computers. In the days before cloud services, it was more prevalent.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: hacking macs - 03/15/16 02:25 PM
Originally Posted By: deniro
My assumption has been that BitTorrent is used mainly for dowloading software (and movies, I guess) illegally. Why take the risk? Buy the software.

I recently used BT to download all six games in a Humble Bundle collection sale, available either via slow download link on their site, or download their torrent links and get them that way. Several gig of data. MUCH faster that way.

Companies are starting to realize the value of bittorrent, or at least P2P content distribution. (and hah... autocorrect wants to make that "bitterness")
© FineTunedMac