Home
Posted By: grelber How does one get rid of browser plug-ins? - 02/07/16 08:21 AM
Just notified that (Microsoft's) Silverlight plug-in for Firefox has been blocked due to vulnerabilities. I've had it disabled for 3 years (ie, have never used it). Under Firefox's Add-ons no version, new or old, exists. I figure it's time to junk it.
But unlike extensions there is no apparent way to remove the plug-in. I suppose I could go into about:config and set about deleting anything which has the Silverlight designation, but I'm extremely reluctant to do such in the event that so doing could compromise something else (such as total functionality).
Any thoughts regarding the dilemma?
I expect that you can find that plug-in in either /Library/Internet Plug-Ins or in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and delete it from there.

I don't know whether it's self-contained or you've got to search for additional components.
Originally Posted By: artie505
I expect that you can find that plug-in in either /Library/Internet Plug-Ins or in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and delete it from there.

Nope. In fact there are no plug-ins under any Library entry. So I presume that they're somehow embedded in Firefox without access by any apparent means and hidden from the Mac.

EDIT:
I diddled around some more and found it in my Firefox folder, removed it, and that solved the problem.
So, many thanks.
I don't patronize that plugin. All we need is another proprietary media plugin.
© FineTunedMac