Home
Posted By: grelber Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 04:56 PM
Time to:
• Clear (= obliterate) the cache in Firefox 41 ... just to be on the safe side.
• Enable Private Browsing in Firefox 42, disable Add-on Adblock Plus, and see if the hype is all it's touted to be.
Posted By: grelber Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 09:31 PM
Not so peachy-keen. For me at least the disadvantages outweigh the potential advantages. In fact, I reverted to Firefox 41.0.2.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 10:05 PM
I' not a Firefox user, but I am sure there are others here that would be interested to know more specifics behind your decision to revert back. It might save others some time and aggravation.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 10:26 PM
There is no 41.0.2 as far as I can see...nothing past 41.0.

How do you clear Firefox's cache?
Posted By: grelber Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I'[m] not a Firefox user, but I am sure there are others here that would be interested to know more specifics behind your decision to revert back. It might save others some time and aggravation.

The 'promised' speed-up in loading pages resulted in a 'slow-down' for me. And even turning Private Browsing off didn't help. That's the primary reason. If the problem is addressed by Mozilla down the road, I'll reconsider.
Posted By: grelber Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
There is no 41.0.2 as far as I can see...nothing past 41.0.

As I recall, 41.0.2 was released on (or about) October 15. It only fixed a single/minor item.

How do you clear Firefox's cache?

Firefox Preferences > Advanced > Network
Posted By: artie505 Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/03/15 10:59 PM
I found

Originally Posted By: Mozilla
Firefox NotesVersion 41.0.2, first offered to Release channel users on October 15, 2015

There was also a 41.0.1.

I guess you're a Release channel user; I've never seen any reference to either, and MacUpdate still links to the v 41.0 d/l page

Thanks for the cache clearing info.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/04/15 05:31 PM
I found
Firefox NotesVersion 41.0.2, first offered to Release channel users on October 15, 2015

There was also a 41.0.1. I guess you're a Release channel user; I've never seen any reference to either, and MacUpdate still links to the v 41.0 d/l page

FWIW, no RC use is required: Firefox 41.0.2. At the moment, Firefox 42.0 is (only?) available from Mozilla.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/04/15 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
Firefox 42.0 is (only?) available from Mozilla.
I got the update via Firefox itself. For those who don't know how this works (it's unintuitive), go to the Firefox menu and click About Firefox. That tells you about any update.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/04/15 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
I found

There was also a 41.0.1. I guess you're a Release channel user; I've never seen any reference to either, and MacUpdate still links to the v 41.0 d/l page

FWIW, no RC use is required: Firefox 41.0.2. At the moment, Firefox 42.0 is (only?) available from Mozilla.

A Google search for "download firefox 41.0.2" turns up nothing but a mess of aggregators, MacUpdate, which is still offering v 41.0, being a notable exception.

grelber never uses aggregators, so other than RC, where'd he get that version or, even better, how'd he even know about it? I've got "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them" checked in Firefox > Prefs > Advanced > Update but have never been advised of one.

Edit: Like Jon, I got v 42.0 directly from Mozilla, but not via Firefox.
Posted By: grelber Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/05/15 07:30 AM
grelber never uses aggregators, so other than RC, where'd he get that version or, even better, how'd he even know about it? I've got "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them" checked in Firefox > Prefs > Advanced > Update but have never been advised of one.

I never have anything "automatically" updated; I always check apps, plugins, etc for new versions and go from there.
Because I don't have broadband Internet access, when I go for updates which can be several hundred MB in size, I go to a system which can provide fast download speed. Small updates (say under 4 MB) I can tolerate downloading at home.

As for Firefox, I regularly go to the menu bar under Firefox, select About Firefox and click on the button "Check for updates". Same for Thunderbird. Same for Apple.

Mystery solved?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Firefox 42 is here - 11/05/15 07:57 AM
Yep! Thanks.

I wonder why although Mozilla didn't post v 41.0.1 & 41.0.2 on MacUpdate it turns up on so many other aggregator sites when you search?

I'm with you in never allowing automatic updates.
© FineTunedMac