Home
Posted By: jchuzi cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 12:01 PM
When I used Snow Leopard, I often reduced the size of text so that I could print a web page using fewer pieces of paper. In Yosemite, that doesn't happen. I reduce the text size but, no matter what I do, the printed text remains the same and the number of pages remains the same. This happens in Safari and Firefox.

Is there any way to restore the ability to print smaller text?
Posted By: Ira L Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 03:37 PM
How about changing the "Scale" percentage in the Print dialog box?
Posted By: grelber Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 06:34 PM
Alternatively and a tad roundabout, save the web page as an HTML document (Web Page, complete) via ⌘S. It's really fast (in most cases), and then you can diddle with it offline to your heart's content.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 08:06 PM
In the print dialog box you can select Layout and print several pages on a single sheet of paper. Depending on the printer you have selected finding Layout can take some searching, but unless the printer developers left it out intentionally it is there — somewhere.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
How about changing the "Scale" percentage in the Print dialog box?
Of course! This proves that my age exceeded my IQ a long time ago. blush
Posted By: jchuzi Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: grelber
Alternatively and a tad roundabout, save the web page as an HTML document (Web Page, complete) via ⌘S. It's really fast (in most cases), and then you can diddle with it offline to your heart's content.
Nice idea, but it doesn't work.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/25/15 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
In the print dialog box you can select Layout and print several pages on a single sheet of paper. Depending on the printer you have selected finding Layout can take some searching, but unless the printer developers left it out intentionally it is there — somewhere.
I have that option but that isn't what I want. I prefer to have one page per sheet.
Posted By: ryck Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/26/15 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Of course! This proves that my age exceeded my IQ a long time ago. blush

Glad to hear I'm not alone in that boat….. laugh
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: cannot print smaller in browsers - 03/26/15 12:11 PM
on a somewhat tangentially-related note, I often print -> save as pdf, when placing orders online. I typically get 3 printouts, one of the product sale page, one just before placing the order, and one more after placing the order showing payment confirmation and order number. I then make a folder in mail for the purchase, drag in the emailed receipt and paypal receipt. Then I make a mail draft and drag in the three PDFs and save the draft and move it to the folder. (yes, I use mail as a database/filing cabinet of sorts)

Anyway, if you drag in a single page PDF to mail, it renders it inline. If it's more than one page, it just shows the PDF document instead. I don't like that, so I'll usually only print page 1 if it's got junk that spilled over to page 2. Sometimes I want to keep some of what's on page 2, and here's the point of my post. You can change the paper size (to legal for example) to get more on page 1. I also have a "20-incher" paper size I've added so I can fit a LOT more on a single page, so Mail continues to render it inline.

Someone may find that trick useful. I was thinking, if your app doesn't let you change the scale and it's going to 2 pages, you could use the 20-incher trick to get it onto one page in a pdf, then open that pdf in preview where Scale is available, scale it down, and print to a single page there.
© FineTunedMac