Home
Posted By: deniro AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/08/14 07:37 PM
My Add-ons Manager in Firefox says I have AdBlock Plus version 2.6.4, but on MacUpdate the newest version released (Sept 08, 2014) says 1.8.3.

Which is it?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/08/14 08:21 PM
Adblock on Safari is 2.7.13. I don't know how closely the version number tracks on different browsers, but I would put my money on what the Firefox Add-ons manager says as being the most accurate.
Posted By: grelber Re: AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/08/14 08:24 PM
The Firefox Add-on version is the current one.
The only way you should be updating Add-ons is via Add-on Manager, since you're not likely to get infected due to Mozilla's vigilance.
Posted By: deniro Re: AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/08/14 11:54 PM
I only update through Firefox. But when I saw the update on Macupdate, and read the comments, I couldn't account for the discrepancy. Still can't.
Posted By: artie505 Re: AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/09/14 04:49 AM
Adblock Plus 1.8.5 is an app that interacts with Safari, while Adblock Plus 2.6.4 is a Firefox add-on...an entirely different animal, albeit with the same name (but a different developer), neither of which should be confused with AdBlock, the Safari extension.
Posted By: deniro Re: AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/09/14 05:31 AM
Got it.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: AdBlock Plus version numbers - 09/10/14 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Adblock Plus 1.8.5 is an app that interacts with Safari, while Adblock Plus 2.6.4 is a Firefox add-on...an entirely different animal, albeit with the same name (but a different developer), neither of which should be confused with AdBlock, the Safari extension.

Actually, Adblock Plus 1.8.5 for Safari—which, by the way, is a Safari extension, not "an app that interacts with Safari"—is the same product as Adblock Plus 2.6.4 for Firefox.

From About Adblock Plus:

Quote:
Adblock Plus is an open source project created by Wladimir Palant in 2006. Eyeo was founded in 2011 by Wladimir Palant and Till Faida to make its development sustainable.
© FineTunedMac