Home
Posted By: Ira L How Long Does a Router Last? - 03/24/14 03:38 PM
As I have posted elsewhere, my wi-fi network seems to "turn off": all devices show it exists and is up, but none of them connect to anything. Turning the router off, waiting a few seconds and then back on corrects it—until the next time. Interestingly, iMacs on Ethernet connections do not lose their connection.

The other thread on how long do modems last made me think that maybe routers have a shorter than expected life expectancy. And along those lines, is there a brand that is drop dead, absolutely, industrial rock solid, the one to get?

Well that last question should open the door to a myriad of varying opinions! grin
Posted By: slolerner Re: How Long Does a Router Last? - 03/24/14 04:08 PM
Well, I guess most people would tell you to buy an Apple Airport. They have probably added the wireless AC network for smart TV's. I am so behind in the the curve it's ridiculous, but my Linksys Wireless G has been the greatest thing, even in obstructed areas. It's one the old, reliable pieces of equipment I have because it is rocksteady, but only goes up to the wireless N network. It doesn't need any software drivers, etc. I don't think this thread will end any time soon, Ira...
Posted By: joemikeb Re: How Long Does a Router Last? - 03/24/14 09:17 PM
You can probably guess my opinion, but here it is any way. I am using a 3TB Apple Time Capsule and it has been rock solid steady for several years now. I also have a few Apple Express base stations I use to extend my network to the far reaches of a lat 60's ranch style house. Those have been replaced from time to time, not because they quit working but new and improved WiFi networking protocols have supplanted the older protocols. I am confident the current Time Capsule will still be working when yet another new and improved protocol standard will be tempting me to replace it.

As far as modems go all the different brands have multiple models ranging from fair to good and it mostly depends on what you want to spend. You will most likely get what you pay for. At the moment I am quite happy with my Cisco cable modem.
Posted By: Ira L Re: How Long Does a Router Last? - 03/25/14 03:38 PM
Despite my long association with Apple products, I had not considered Airport Express; not sure why not, but I will look into it.

Thanks, one and all.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: How Long Does a Router Last? - 04/22/14 09:36 PM
After this recent discussion my cable phone modem went belly up. The technician arrived took on look and said, "That is an old modem and will need to be replaced". When I asked what the life expectancy of a cable modem was, he responded that in his experience they should last 3 to 5 years before needing to be replaced. He went on to say the technology is advancing fast enough that even if the modem continued to work, it should be replaced at least that often to keep up with the technology. While he was here he also upgraded my Cisco cable data modem and said I should plan on replacing it within another year or so. Charter is providing the modems and there is no charge for the upgrade so they aren't making any money on the upgrades.
© FineTunedMac