Home
Posted By: Virtual1 "Archive" folder - 12/28/13 04:28 PM
I dare you to rename an "on my mac" folder to "Archive"

wait for it… wait for it…
Posted By: slolerner Re: "Archive" folder - 03/03/14 12:45 AM
You mean in Mail? Or does an ordinary desktop folder become an archive?
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: "Archive" folder - 03/03/14 02:36 AM
Originally Posted By: slolerner
You mean in Mail? Or does an ordinary desktop folder become an archive?

I mean make a folder in Apple Mail, a folder in the "On My Computer" (local) folder area. Put something (you don't value) in it. Then rename it "Archive". Cue circus music.
Posted By: artie505 Re: "Archive" folder - 03/03/14 09:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I mean make a folder in Apple Mail, a folder in the "On My Computer" (local) folder area. Put something (you don't value) in it. Then rename it "Archive". Cue circus music.

For what it's worth, no problemo in Mail v 4.6 (1085) in Snowy.

A new bug?
Posted By: ganbustein Re: "Archive" folder - 03/04/14 07:51 AM
I hope you've filed a bug report on this.

What happens for me (Mail 7.2 on OS X 10.9.2) is that the mailbox disappears from under "ON MY MAC", and where the "All Mail (Gmail)" mailbox used to be, you now have a folder named "Archive" that includes three mailboxes, named "On My Mac", "All Mail (Gmail)", and "On My Mac". The two "On My Mac" mailboxes are copies of the original mailbox, the one you renamed).

Fortunately, the damage can be (apparently) undone by deleting either of the copies of it. The other one goes away and "All Mail (Gmail)" returns to its rightful place.

Posted By: Virtual1 Re: "Archive" folder - 03/04/14 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: ganbustein
I hope you've filed a bug report on this.

I'll let you have the honor wink

Also, notice the icon it gets. It's clearly not any of the normal folder. Looks a bit like something out of aperture when you make a new project?
Posted By: pbGuy Re: "Archive" folder - 03/16/14 10:28 PM
This On My Mac - Archive folder bug has been going since, if I remember correctly, Mountain Lion. ...There are posts about it in Apple's Support Discussions, which I also participated and subsequently filed a bug report at Apple's Contact Us page.

Here's a link: Apple Discussion Thread

Since there was no resolution in Mavericks, I'm concerned Apple isn't paying enough attention to improving Mail. crazy
© FineTunedMac