Home
Posted By: ryck Strange Cookie - 08/28/13 05:36 PM
Yesterday, in cleaning out cookies I found one entitled "Local documents on your computer". As cookies usually have some form of identification giving you an idea of who may have placed them, this one seemed a little...well, spooky. I deleted it.

I then did a quick Google for an explanation but no one really seemed to know what it might be. A couple of places even suggested it was placed there by Safari which seemed to me...well, odd.

The cookie has not returned.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Strange Cookie - 08/28/13 08:26 PM
I see that cookie when I try to visit a Web site that's blocked in my hosts file.

Its appearance has usually been accompanied by a Safari screen saying:

Quote:
Safari can't connect to the server.
Safari can't open the page "http://******.com/" because Safari can't connect to the server "******.com".

I've recently begun seeing it on occasion without seeing the screen because, I assume, only one element of a(n eBay) page is blocked, but not the entire page.

I guess it's fair to say that it is Safari that's placing the cookie despite the fact that it's not "initiating" it (in my instances, anyhow).

Edit: I guess it's also fair to say that (in my instances, anyhow) the cookie is both benign and desirable.
Posted By: ryck Re: Strange Cookie - 08/28/13 08:59 PM
Whew!!! Thanks.
© FineTunedMac