Home
Posted By: plantsower Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 05:39 PM
Hi:

I am using the Find feature to go through a a PDF file on a certain subject. I put the word I wanted to see in the find window. According to the find feature, the word appears 15 times. But when I use the command G function, it doesn't highlight the word. It jumps around the document like it's going to that word but there is no color difference. Is there something I'm not doing or is there a utility I can use to fix this? The Find feature works great on normal webpages.

thanks.

Rita
Posted By: artie505 Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 07:28 PM
Hi, Rita,

Try entering your word in Preview's "Search" field and hitting "return" repeatedly to navigate from instance to instance, all of which should be highlighted in yellow.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 07:41 PM
Hi Artie: It's not like it's a regular Preview screen. Here is the url. It looks like a regular webpage but can't highlight the FIND words, at least not from here.

http://www.usana.com/media/File/dotCom/company/science/crb/UbiquinoneVersusUbiquinol.pdf

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, Rita,

Try entering your word in Preview's "Search" field and hitting "return" repeatedly to navigate from instance to instance, all of which should be highlighted in yellow.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 08:04 PM
Hi, Rita,

(Safari 5.x) I navigated to your PDF, hit command-F, entered my search term in the window, and repeatedly hit "return" to navigate from instance to instance, all of which were highlighted in grey (and very difficult to see).

If you don't get the same results, you can move your cursor to the mid-bottom of your Safari window, hit the download option in the pop-up, open the PDF in Preview, and work from there.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 08:22 PM
THANK YOU!!!! I didn't know I could do that. And as far as the grey highlights? Couldn't see them at all! I am getting a nice bright yellow highlight in Preview.

Thanks for you help (again). smile

Rita
Posted By: artie505 Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: plantsower
And as far as the grey highlights? Couldn't see them at all!

You don't see this in your PDF?

Oh, well, at least there's the d/l trick, and Preview's yellow is a lot easier to work with than the grey.

Happy to have been helpful smile
Posted By: plantsower Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 09:00 PM
I didn't see the red box in your link. But when I hovered like you told me, I saw the choice to open it in Preview and I did, if that's what you mean. I didn't need to d/l it to save it, just to read it.

Thanks.

Rita
Posted By: artie505 Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 09:06 PM
I inserted the red box to highlight the grey highlight which, as I said, is very difficult to see (even highlighted in red as it is).

Edit: Now you taught me something; I didn't know you could open the PDF in Preview w/o d/l'ing it. smile
Posted By: plantsower Re: Highlighting search words for pdf doc - 08/03/13 09:56 PM
Ha-ha. I taught you something. By accident. Anyway, I see the slight darkening of the "highlighted" word now. I can see why I overlooked it I was looking for a normal "highlight". Anyway, I am going to do it in Preview from now on now that I know how.

Until next time....

Rita
© FineTunedMac