Home
Posted By: paulw wifi problems after installing 10.6 - 09/02/09 10:58 PM
My son installed Snow Leopard on his MacBook, and since that time he has only been able to log onto the internet through ethernet. I am on the same network and have no problems with my MBP running 10.5.8. Network Prefs tell him he is connected through AirPort.

On the menu bar, our home network has a padlock next to it on my son's MB. I checked his Keychain Access app and there was nothing about our network so I added those details to his setup exactly as they are on mind, but to no effect.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Bensheim Re: wifi problems after installing 10.6 - 09/03/09 07:48 PM
Bump.

19 views and no-one's answered this. confused

I'd have thought this was precisely the kind of query you wanted here on a troublesolving forum?

Paulw, I'd love to help you myself, but I'm on 10.4 and have no problems with wired or wireless networking all the Macs in this office. Someone who knows all about Snow Leopard will be able to deal with this easily, I'm sure. There are plenty of them about.

Good luck!
Bensheim
Posted By: Ira L Re: wifi problems after installing 10.6 - 09/03/09 07:51 PM
I'm not clear--did you add your network password only in Keychain, or did you do it in the Network Preference panel as well? I think it needs to be in the latter, otherwise Keychain may not know what to associate with that particular password.

Alternatively, in the Network Preferences, delete the home network and then create it as a new setting all over again and see if that fixes the problem.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: wifi problems after installing 10.6 - 09/03/09 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Bensheim
I'd have thought this was precisely the kind of query you wanted here on a troublesolving forum?

This is precisely the kind of query wanted here. The lack of response only indicates no one who has viewed the post so far has a suggestion for correcting the problem.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: wifi problems after installing 10.6 - 09/03/09 09:18 PM
The padlock icon simply means the particular network is password protected.

Look in System Preferences > Network and see if Airport shows as "Connected". If it does then he is connected to the WiFi network, but is not "seeing" the internet. You should be able to verify this by opening a Finder window then look in the sidebar under Devices to see if your MBP shows up (assuming your MBP has sharing enabled).

If he is connected to the WiFi network then logon to another account on his system and try connecting to the internet there. If he can then the problem is in our son's user account which cuts the solution space in half.

Let us know what you find.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: wifi problems after installing 10.6 - 09/03/09 09:49 PM
usually if you check to remember a network, it adds the keychain entry to your user keychain AND the system keychain, so all other users of that computer will also have access to the wireless. (but they cannot recover the password since it's in the system keychain)

If you are having problems, I suggest removing the keychain entry from all keychains, including theirs, yours, and system, and reboot and try again. It should prompt for it, click to remember, and it should work for all.
© FineTunedMac