Home
Posted By: artie505 Bug or oddity? - 12/21/11 09:17 AM
This may be a relatively new, i.e. Safari 5.1.2, phenomenon, or it may be an old one that I never ran into before...

One of my bookmarks opens three tabs...Vanguard, Chase, and PayPal.

I've recently found that when I log out of Chase and close its tab just as the "You have successfully logged off" screen appears, the PayPal tab (which is immediately to its right and, according to its work wheel, fully loaded) looks like this, with the Chase "You have successfully..." screen superimposed over the PayPal password field.

As soon as I enter a single character into the password field the screen changes to this. (The PayPal screen is complete as respects my prefs.)

This is 100% reproducible except when I look at the PayPal tab before logging in to Chase, in which case it seems to be 100% non-reproducible, as if opening the tab "sets" its contents.

Further, I have been unable to reproduce the phenomenon when logging out of Vanguard and switching to the Chase tab.

Does this ring any bells with anybody?
Posted By: tacit Re: Bug or oddity? - 12/21/11 10:54 PM
That's a mighty peculiar one and no mistake. Looks like a subtle tab-handling bug in Safari to me. If I had to guess, when you close a tab, the rendering engine (which is its own process) doesn't stop instantly; under some circumstances, possibly relating to how complex the page content is, if there's still rendering going on it may continue the rendering when the parent tab is closed, and output the result on the wrong page.

If that's what's happening, there's a (small) possibility of a complex security vulnerability in there.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Bug or oddity? - 12/21/11 11:09 PM
Thanks for your input...an educated rendering of my own guess.

It's a pain, but I guess I'll file a bug report.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Bug or oddity? - 12/22/11 06:24 AM
Bug report filed.
© FineTunedMac