Home
Posted By: plantsower Can't print from Safari - 12/13/11 07:34 PM
For the past few days, when I try to print anything off of Safari, I get this message: "There was a problem printing most likely caused by a pop-up blocker. Please click Try-again."

I disabled the pop-up blocker but no dice. I can print fine from Firefox (not my preferred browser). Any ideas? I researched it and the only advice I could find was to disable the pop-up blocker. That's never been a problem anyway.

Not sure if this is the correct forum. Sorry.

Rita
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/13/11 08:15 PM
Do you have any plug-ins installed, like Saft or Pith Helmet? If so, disable them and see if that solves it.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/13/11 08:19 PM
Hi Jon:

No, I don't have anything like those plug-ins. Actually, I don't think I have any extra plugins enabled in Safari.

It's just weird that this has started all of a sudden with no changes on my part.

Rita

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Do you have any plug-ins installed, like Saft or Pith Helmet? If so, disable them and see if that solves it.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/13/11 09:29 PM
Hi Rita,

Will you please post the URL of a Web site from which you can't print?

Thanks.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/13/11 11:43 PM
Hi Artie:

It's ALL websites!! I can't print any of them via Safari. The print window comes down and then it freezes. Clicking "print" doesn't do anything. I have to hit "escape" to get it to unfreeze and disappear.

Rita
Posted By: alternaut Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/13/11 11:55 PM
Have you rebooted since this started to happen?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 12:09 AM
Yes, I shut down every night and reboot every morning. It's been happening for days now. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Have you rebooted since this started to happen?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 12:19 AM
Have you tried logging into a test account to see if the problem occurs there? That's always a good first step.

When I had problems printing from Adobe Reader, someone in this forum suggested that I try Printer Setup Repair. I used it to repair printer permissions (which are not affected by repairing permissions with Disk Utility) and the problem was solved. There is a seven day free trial so you have nothing to lose.

Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 04:35 AM
Thanks, Jon. I downloaded the printer repair and ran it. It didn't help. I haven't used my test account because (I know it sounds silly) I'm afraid I can't get back into my regular account.

I'm hoping for another solution.

Rita
Posted By: grelber Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 07:56 AM
Originally Posted By: plantsower
I haven't used my test account because (I know it sounds silly) I'm afraid I can't get back into my regular account.

I've been there ... when I got my new iMac with Lion installed a couple months ago, I was virtually paralyzed when trying to troubleshoot several issues that arose. (A major part of the problem was that was my first intimate experience with OS X, having just forced myself to move over from OS 9 after 11 years.)
But once an Apple advisor walked me through it, I lost that fear.
Just set up another account, name it test (or something more creative) and set up a password that will be easy to remember.
Then, as suggested, see if your Safari problem occurs within. If so, then it's a system problem and may require reinstallation of Safari; if not, then it's peculiar to your user account, and the search goes on.
When you log out of your test account, the log in screen will appear with your two accounts. Choose yours and log back in.
No sweat.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 12:07 PM
Grelber is right. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." (I just made that up.) wink
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 04:59 PM
Hi Jon: Yes, I am sure you just made that up. Brilliant! smile

Anyway, you won't believe this, but I contacted Canon and they suggested I run disk permissions. I did that from the regular old disk utility on my Mac, and voila! It is now working. Couldn't believe it. I do thank you for your input, though. It's always valuable. Thanks again.

Rita

Grelber is right. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." (I just made that up.) wink
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 05:03 PM
Hi:

Thanks for the encouragement and good instructions. I actually have a test account but haven't used it in a long time. Can't remember the password but will use what I think it may be should I need to. (As you may have read, running Disk Utility fixed my problem.)

Once I log out of my user account, to get back in, is my administrative password what it's asking for? If so, I have that and won't be so nervous about logging out. Thanks so much.

Rita

Originally Posted By: grelber
I haven't used my test account because (I know it sounds silly) I'm afraid I can't get back into my regular account.

I've been there ... when I got my new iMac with Lion installed a couple months ago, I was virtually paralyzed when trying to troubleshoot several issues that arose. (A major part of the problem was that was my first intimate experience with OS X, having just forced myself to move over from OS 9 after 11 years.)
But once an Apple advisor walked me through it, I lost that fear.
Just set up another account, name it test (or something more creative) and set up a password that will be easy to remember.
Then, as suggested, see if your Safari problem occurs within. If so, then it's a system problem and may require reinstallation of Safari; if not, then it's peculiar to your user account, and the search goes on.
When you log out of your test account, the log in screen will appear with your two accounts. Choose yours and log back in.
No sweat.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 05:39 PM
Once I log out of my user account, to get back in, is my administrative password what it's asking for? If so, I have that and won't be so nervous about logging out. Thanks so much.
That's exactly right. If you have automatic login selected in System Preferences>Accounts (click the Login Options button if you're not sure), you won't be asked for a password; you'll simply get logged in when you select the account.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/14/11 09:16 PM
Got it! Thanks again, Jon.

Rita

That's exactly right. If you have automatic login selected in System Preferences>Accounts (click the Login Options button if you're not sure), you won't be asked for a password; you'll simply get logged in when you select the account.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 05:12 AM
> If you have automatic login selected in System Preferences>Accounts (click the Login Options button if you're not sure), you won't be asked for a password; you'll simply get logged in when you select the account.

"Automatic login" automatically logs you in to an account only when you start up or restart; when you log back in to an account after having logged out you've got two login window options:

Quote:
List of users
Name and password

...selection made at /SysPrefs/Accounts > Login Options, and both require tht you enter a password.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 10:36 AM
I have automatic login enabled and I am not asked for a password when logging back into an account after logging out.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 01:03 PM
I have automatic login enabled and I am not asked for a password when logging back into an account after logging out.

Are we talking about the same "Automatic Login," i.e. not fast user switching?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 03:04 PM
Right. I don't use fast user switching.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 03:18 PM

Jon are you sure you are not confusing logout/liogin with boot/reboot? I did not remember what you are describing to be the case in any version of OS X back to the Public Beta, but I decided to verify my memory.

On the three Macs in this room, all currently running OS X 10.7.2, if automatic login is enabled...
  • if I log out of one account I have to enter a password to login to any other account on the system
  • If I log out of the primary account, the one where automatic login, is enabled, I have to enter the password to log back in to that account.
  • Automatic login only works when you boot or reboot and then it automatically logs in to the one account where automatic login has been enabled.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 04:06 PM
No, I'm not confusing any of this with boot/reboot. I just tried logging out/in to verify. I logged out of my main account, selected the test account, and automatically was logged in (no password required). I logged out of the test account, selected the main account, and was automatically logged in (no password required).

Maybe the anomaly arises from the fact that I have enabled Automatic Login on both accounts?
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 06:06 PM
Either that's a new feature for Lion or your Mac has some serious security issues.

"Automatic" login should only function at boot time. If you log out and arrive directly at the login window (i.e., without restarting), then —at that point —selecting any username to login should prompt for a password. [except perhaps a password-less Guest account, maybe.]
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 06:40 PM

Jon's not running Lion.

However, I seem to remember his using a blank password at some point in the past, in which case hitting Return after selecting a user at the Login window would have the effect of submitting the password, no?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Jon's not running Lion.

However, I seem to remember his using a blank password at some point in the past, in which case hitting Return after selecting a user at the Login window would have the effect of submitting the password, no?

You beat me to the punch with the no password thought, but Jon didn't mention hitting return; he said "automatically."

(I'm not running Lion either.)
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 08:31 PM
DK is onto something. My main account and the test account have a blank space instead of a password. As an experiment, I set up a third account that does have an actual password. When I tried to log into it, I was prompted to enter that password. Actually, I'm a bit surprised. If all were consistent, I should be given a prompt for the password and then simply have to press Return. Instead, dk's description seems to be accurate.

I also realized that I gave some erroneous or misleading information in a previous post. My main account is set to automatically log in upon booting/rebooting. The second account, as the first, has a blank space as a password. The third account has an actual password.

So, to sum up, the situation seems to be that logging in/out will require a password unless the password is a blank space. Booting/rebooting will log into the account that has been designated as Automatic Login, and without requiring the password.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 09:12 PM
> If all were consistent, I should be given a prompt for the password and then simply have to press Return. Instead, dk's description seems to be accurate.

Nope... dk said "[...] in which case hitting Return after selecting a user at the Login window would have the effect of submitting the password, no?" (Emphasis added)
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 09:32 PM
By "consistent", I meant that I would have expected Apple to always display a a dialog box in which to enter a password, regardless of the fact that the password might be a blank space. That seems to be bypassed.

Dk is entirely correct in his assumption, according to what I see. Perhaps someone else would care to verify this?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/15/11 11:55 PM
> Anyway, you won't believe this, but I contacted Canon and they suggested I run disk permissions. I did that from the regular old disk utility on my Mac, and voila! It is now working.

You've become the forgotten person in your own thread, Rita, so three things...

1. The "regular old disk utility on my Mac" is where you always want to repair permissions from; it's the most up-to-date vehicle (unless you're still running the version of OS X with which your Mac shipped, in which case it's OK to run it from you're restore disc).

2. It may be too late, but would you please hit command-L in Disk Utility and see if you can maybe post what it repaired?

3. To avoid forgetting my test account p/w, as you may have done, I use the same p/w for both my main and test accounts.

If a p/w is safe enough for the account with all your stuff, why not use it for the account with nothing, too? (Actually, I delete and recreate my test account following every log-in, so it's always pristine.)
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 02:14 AM
My main account and the test account have a blank space instead of a password.

Are you nuts? Please don't recommend such practice to anyone else. One of these days you might follow a link to some web page and get owned.

Just curious, can you run commands with sudo in terminal? I think Snowy (or even Leo) will refuse to run sudo when the user's password is blank... which is perhaps the only thing saving you from the fate in my previous paragraph (but i've never verified that security feature).

EDIT: here's a simple terminal test...
sudo whoami
Password:
root

BTW —since you have no password —that might have been a propitious place to inform the readership. crazy
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 07:20 AM
> Just curious, can you run commands with sudo in terminal? I think Snowy (or even Leo) will refuse to run sudo when the user's password is blank... which is perhaps the only thing saving you from the fate in my previous paragraph (but i've never verified that security feature).

EDIT: here's a simple terminal test...
sudo whoami
Password:
root

Results of experiment after changing my p/w to blank (OS X 10.6.8):

Code:
Last login: Fri Dec 16 03:05:03 on console
Artie-s-Computer-4:~ artie$ sudo whoami
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 07:38 AM
By "consistent", I meant that I would have expected Apple to always display a a dialog box in which to enter a password, regardless of the fact that the password might be a blank space. That seems to be bypassed.

Dk is entirely correct in his assumption, according to what I see. Perhaps someone else would care to verify this?

I still don't follow your "consistent," but let's get past that...

I experimented with your setup, i.e. blank p/w's for both my main and test accounts, with these results:

When I logged out of either account I was presented with a list of users/password dialog box, and selecting a user automatically logged me into whichever account I selected...with no further ado.

Your post sounds like that's not what you're experiencing, though.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: artie505
I experimented with your setup, i.e. blank p/w's for both my main and test accounts, with these results:

When I logged out of either account I was presented with a list of users/password dialog box, and selecting a user automatically logged me into whichever account I selected...with no further ado.

Your post sounds like that's not what you're experiencing, though.
Sorry if I haven't been clear, but that's exactly what happens to me.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 10:27 AM
Whew! cool
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Are you nuts? Please don't recommend such practice to anyone else. One of these days you might follow a link to some web page and get owned.
Sure, I'm nuts, but so is everybody else. grin

Just curious, can you run commands with sudo in terminal?
No. That security feature started with Leopard. If I need to use sudo, I change the password from a blank space to an actual password, then change it back when I'm done. I use sudo so rarely (probably counted on the fingers of one hand) that it's not an inconvenience. It's much more convenient for me to just hit Return when I have to enter a password. Yes, it's not secure, but I'm the only person who has physical access to the computer (except my wife, but I trust her). Your point about a web page is well taken, however.

When I tested terminal with sudo whoami, I got the same result as Artie.

BTW —since you have no password —that might have been a propitious place to inform the readership.
Right you are. It's been so long since I set my preferences that I forgot about it. Dkmarsh remembered (he has the memory of an elephant) so I mentioned it in a subsequent post.
Posted By: MacManiac Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 03:10 PM
John,

Your decision to run your computer without the safety net of a password is not as safe as you are assuming. While you say that you (and your trusted counterpart / bride) are the only users, you forget that there are countless others with access to your machine through your internet connection.

If you have ANY form of data on your machine that you don't want outsiders to have access to I would strongly recommend that you re-evaluate your current practice. You don't necessarily need to lock the machine down in a cyber-vault....that would be overkill, but neither should you leave the doors wide open and the lights on as an invitation for intrusion.

As deliberate and methodical as you are with all of your other computer practices, it only makes sense to shift a little in this respect.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 04:02 PM
OK, you convinced me. I just enabled a real, honest-to-goodness password. I think that I'll post it on Facebook so that I can remember it... grin
Posted By: grelber Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 05:31 PM
At least you're safe from the scads predators like me who refuse to Facebook. crazy
Rats! And I did so want to access your Visa account. tongue grin
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 07:57 PM
I was being facetious about Facebook. I don't participate nor do I intend to do so. My Visa number is 1234 5678 9012 3456, expiration date Feb. 31, 2112. As the Japanese saying goes, rotsa ruck. wink
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 08:56 PM
Artie: Is this what you're looking for?

Dec 14 09:45:05: Disk Utility started.

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions verification complete

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions repair complete

Name : TOSHIBA MK6025GAS
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk0
Media Name : TOSHIBA MK6025GAS Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : ATA
Connection Type : Internal
Connection ID : Device 0
Partition Type : Apple_partition_scheme
Device Tree : pci2/ata-6@D/@0:0
Writable : Yes
Ejectable : No
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
Total Capacity : 55.9 GB (60,011,642,880 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 0

Dec 16 13:53:58: Disk Utility started.

Rita

> Anyway, you won't believe this, but I contacted Canon and they suggested I run disk permissions. I did that from the regular old disk utility on my Mac, and voila! It is now working.

You've become the forgotten person in your own thread, Rita, so three things...

1. The "regular old disk utility on my Mac" is where you always want to repair permissions from; it's the most up-to-date vehicle (unless you're still running the version of OS X with which your Mac shipped, in which case it's OK to run it from you're restore disc).

2. It may be too late, but would you please hit command-L in Disk Utility and see if you can maybe post what it repaired?

3. To avoid forgetting my test account p/w, as you may have done, I use the same p/w for both my main and test accounts.

If a p/w is safe enough for the account with all your stuff, why not use it for the account with nothing, too? (Actually, I delete and recreate my test account following every log-in, so it's always pristine.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/16/11 10:42 PM
> Artie: Is this what you're looking for?

Uhhh... I dunno, Rita.

On the one hand, the time stamp suggests that it may be the log of the permission repairs you ran at Canon's suggestion, but on the other hand, nothing was repaired, which leaves me completely mystified about what may have cured your Mac's ills.

Is there maybe another, earlier log record from the 14th?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/17/11 02:19 AM
Hi Artie:

Nope. The log prior to this one was from July. Maybe the Printer Setup Repair program recommended by Jon worked after all. It didn't work at first but then I hadn't shut down and rebooted. Maybe that was necessary for that to work. I don't know. It may remain a mystery!!

Rita

> Artie: Is this what you're looking for?

Uhhh... I dunno, Rita.

On the one hand, the time stamp suggests that it may be the log of the permission repairs you ran at Canon's suggestion, but on the other hand, nothing was repaired, which leaves me completely mystified about what may have cured your Mac's ills.

Is there maybe another, earlier log record from the 14th?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 12/17/11 02:30 AM
I think this one is for Sherlock Holmes, Rita. (You may be right about the restart, though.)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/01/12 06:46 PM
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal? mad

I went through the Macosx.com help site, and they wanted me to reinstall Safari. Won't that mess up my bookmarks, etc. Sounds kind of extreme.

I don't expect anymore help here, just answers to the above questions. I don't have the energy to keep this up. I may just have to switch to Firefox when i know I want to print something or copy and paste into my word processor. Grrrrr!. I haven't tried my test account yet because of my skittishness and also because if it prints in all other venues, how could it be my account?

Thanks.

Rita

I think this one is for Sherlock Holmes, Rita. (You may be right about the restart, though.)
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/01/12 09:50 PM
Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility. You can, however, run the equivalent of DU's Repair Disk in Single User Mode:

1. Start up while pressing Command and S simultaneously. Release the keys when you see writing on the screen and wait for the writing to stop loading.

2. Type fsck -fy (leave a space between fsck and -fy) and press Return. (Fsck is UNIX for File System Check, the equivalent of Repair Disk.)

3. Wait until fsck is finished running. If any errors were repaired, run it again in case multiple passes are required.

4. Eventually, you'll either get a message that everything is OK or that the disk cannot be repaired (in which case you'll need something stronger, like Disk Warrior). At that point, type reboot and press Return. This will get you back to normal.

Alternatively, you can install Applejack, which also runs in Single User Mode. Read the instructions before you proceed. AJ will run fsck for you without your having to type the command.

Quote:
I went through the Macosx.com help site, and they wanted me to reinstall Safari. Won't that mess up my bookmarks, etc. Sounds kind of extreme.
This should not touch your bookmarks, but to be on the safe side, copy ~/Library/Safari (that folder contains your bookmarks plus other stuff) and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist to a safe location in case you need to restore anything.

Quote:
I haven't tried my test account yet because of my skittishness and also because if it prints in all other venues, how could it be my account?
There could be something peculiar to the Safari settings in your main account. Using a test account is simple and safe. I have done it many, many times with never a hiccup and it has helped me solve problems. This is the first thing that you should do before trying anything else. Otherwise, you may tear your hair out with "remedies" that are unnecessary. A scalpel is better than a chainsaw for cutting out a small tumor.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 02:43 AM
Thanks, Jon. I will actually try all of your ideas as soon as my printer quits working! LOL! It's started working again. What gives? Anyway, I actually went into my test account. So, I'm not scared to do that anymore.

I am pretty sure it will act up again. When it does, I will first check my test account. Then I will use Applejack or just follow the formula you gave me.

Thanks so much.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 06:37 AM
Quote:
Well, it's still happening off on and (mostly on). I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal?
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility.

Huh?

I don't recall ever hearing of anybody being unable to access Disk Utility from an install disc for any reason. (Not to be confused with OS X updates updating permissions...making one's boot disc the preferable vehicle for repairing permissions.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 06:50 AM
I tried booting from from the install disk to get to Disk Utility and got the message that I had upgraded from the original OS so i could not get to Disk Utility unless I went back to the original version of Tiger. Is this normal? mad

Hi, Rita, and Happy New Year! smile

That doesn't ring any bells at all with me.

If this is possible, please boot from your install disc again, try to access Disk Utility, and if you get the same prohibition screen, take a cell phone or digital camera picture of it, import it, upload it to ImageShack, and post a link so we can get a look-see. (Sorry to start your new year off with a job. frown )
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 10:10 AM
I don't recall ever hearing of anybody being unable to access Disk Utility from an install disc for any reason. (Not to be confused with OS X updates updating permissions...making one's boot disc the preferable vehicle for repairing permissions.)
Yes, I believe that you're right, Artie. I was thinking of permission repair being updated but that shouldn't affect the ability to access DU from the install disk.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the new work, Artie. You could tell from my original post a couple of days ago that I didn't want to start digging into this, right? LOL! I've got some stuff to do this morning, but when I get back, I will do as you suggest so you can see what is happening.

Later,

Rita
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 06:49 PM
Here goes. Maybe I clicked on the wrong thing. If so, walk me through, please!
I wasn't trying to install the whole Mac OS, just trying to get to the Disk Utility but I was stopped here before I could find a customize button.

http://img841.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img841/402/0000001rj.jpg

Rita
Posted By: dianne Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 08:55 PM
Hello Rita,

Take a look at the "Try Disk Utility" section in this link: Resolve startup issues and perform disk mainenance with Disk Utility and fsck.

I think you need to select your language, and then go to the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. Do not click Continue in the first screen of the installer.

See also Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. This link has some helpful screenshots for both Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.

I realize that this may repeat information you already know, but just in case it might be of use to others using the Search function at FineTunedMac.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 10:28 PM
Thanks, Dianne. That is some valuable info. I am going to save it. At this point, for whatever reason, my printer has decided to print Safari stuff!! Next time it quits, though, I am going to follow those instructions and others I've been given.

I appreciate your help.

Rita
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/02/12 10:44 PM
Hi Artie: I looked up the second link Dianne gave me and it contained this sentence. (See words in parentheses.) What do you think?

Rita

"Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.4 or newer it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disk (must be the same version). Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

Rita

Quote:
If the install disk was an earlier version of Tiger, this is possible because updates should not only update the OS but also update Disk Utility.

Huh?

Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 12:49 AM
Read Mac OS X - Using Disk Utility to Repair a Disk. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see:

Mac OS X 10.4.x through 10.6.x:
Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen.

You should get that at the second screen, after you select the language. Apparently, you went too far and opted to install the OS.
Posted By: tacit Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 01:18 AM
That error says you tried to do an install. There isn't a button for Disk Utility; you have to choose it from one of the menus.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 02:16 AM
Jon and Tacit: I didn't see those options. I will check more carefully next time.

Thanks.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 05:59 AM
Hi Artie: I looked up the second link Dianne gave me and it contained this sentence. (See words in parentheses.) What do you think?

Rita

"Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.4 or newer it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disk (must be the same version). Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

Hi, Rita,

"(M)ust be the same version" means that if you're using a retail install disc (rather than the restore disc that shipped with your Mac) it must install at least the same version of OS X as does your restore disc, because, almost invariably, Macs cannot boot from discs that install an earlier version of OS X than that with which they shipped.

(Note that "live verification," the subject of your quoted paragraph, is unreliable at best and should only be used if you haven't got either a restore or install disc to boot from.)

Sorry to have started off your year with extra work, Rita, but what you reported was so unlikely that it demanded investigation, and, indeed, your posted screenshot showed precisely what I expected it to show...that, as both Jon and tacit pointed out, you had gone past the point at which you could have accessed Disk Utility and begun an installation.
Posted By: Ira L Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 03:52 PM
If you have used the Install Disk as the Startup disk (that is, not just inserted it, but restarted your Mac while holding down the "C" key so the CD becomes the startup), then Disk Utility should appear as a menu choice at the top of your screen.

This may not address any of your other issues, but should clarify this point.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 04:57 PM
Finally. Yes, I have been putting in the install disk and pushing "C" down. I just keep forgetting to look up at the menu area. Then when I went past the first dialogue box, the menu I wanted was gone.

Anyway, everyone, Artie, I clicked Repair Disk and it came up clean.

Not sure why my printer is still responding to Safari. A total mystery.

At least I'll know where to start if things go haywire again.

Thanks so much for all your input.

Rita
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 10:51 PM
I know you guys must be tired of hearing from me about this. The printer finally stopped working for Safari again. I used my test account but it made no difference. I tried to repair my disk but it was "fine".

Any more ideas other than reinstalling Safari? I really don't want to do that if I can help it. If nothing will work, I will just starting using Firefox.

Rita
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/03/12 11:28 PM
Maybe it's time to reset the printing system.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 09:46 AM
Aaargh!!! confused

This is beginning to smell like a familiar rat, Rita, so...my next to last shot:

I believe you've already d/l'ed and installed Applejack, so boot into Single-user Mode, type "applejack AUTO restart" (yes caps...no quotes) at the prompt, and let AJ run its entire suite; this will deep-clean your caches and maybe, just maybe, clear up your issue.

Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 05:01 PM
Artie: I never downloaded Applejack because I was able to get my Disk Utility to work, remember? But, I will download it to clean up my computer and see if it helps. If not, I will try what Jon recommended with my printer setup.

Grrrrrrrr........
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 05:02 PM
What do you mean beginning to smell familiar? That sounds ominous.

Rita
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 06:42 PM
OK. I ran Applejack. I've never been that deep into my computer so was a little daunting. I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not. I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.

My printer is now working again. I need to give it a couple of days to see if it sticks. If not, I will do the printer reset per Jon.

Thanks again for all the hand holding.

Rita
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 08:04 PM
I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.
How did you do this? I ask because your procedure may or may not have been effective.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 08:31 PM
Jon:

I just went to to my hard drive and clicked on my user name, went to Library, then to preferences. Applejack says it makes a preference file with corrupt in parenthesis if it finds corrupt files.

Hope that made sense.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/04/12 09:38 PM
That's about what I thought. AJ, as far as I know, doesn't do any more than test the code of those files. The code can be correct but the information in the file can still be wrong, albeit coded correctly. So, you could still have a corrupted preference file.

In one of your previous posts, you said "I used my test account but it made no difference." Does that mean that the problem occurred in the test account also? If that's the case, the cause is not in your Users folder and therefore preference files in ~/Library/Preferences are not to blame.

The only way to truly test preference files is to remove them and see if that solves the problem.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/05/12 12:46 AM
I tried to print in my Test Account as well as my user account and neither worked. My printer has been working since I used Applejack, but I'm not sure if it's related or not. Will know in a couple days as that's about how long it works when it works.

Rita
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/05/12 06:40 AM
What do you mean beginning to smell familiar? That sounds ominous.

Nothing ominous at all, Rita... Just that your issue began to remind me of an elusive one posted a while back that was finally resolved by a deep cache cleaning. (EasyFind tells me that I've got 808 cache files in assorted locations, and since there's no "panacea" app that clears all of them, the "harder working" ones, Applejack and, if necessary, TinkerTool System, become obvious choices in a pinch.)

OK. I ran Applejack. I've never been that deep into my computer so was a little daunting. I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not. I went into Library-preferences to see if there was a preference (corrupt) file folder and didn't find any.

My printer is now working again. I need to give it a couple of days to see if it sticks. If not, I will do the printer reset per Jon.

Thanks again for all the hand holding.

Getting "that deep into (your) computer" was probably good for you in the long run, Rita; it undoubtedly was "a little daunting," but if you think back, you'll probably realize that it was no more daunting than was looking at your screen the very first time you turned your Mac on.

Single-user Mode, test user accounts, Terminal, and other "under-the-hood" stuff are pretty much universally daunting to those who've never dealt with them and equally rewarding to those who confront them and learn to understand their usefulness.

As for "I don't know how to check if it actually repaired anything or not:"

Originally Posted By: APPLEJACK README
6. AppleJack has a primitive logging mechanism. It writes a journal of most of its activity to /var/log/AppleJack.log.

If you're curious, you can get to /var/log via Finder's "Go" menu item.

I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/05/12 07:08 PM
OK. I reinstalled my Canon IP4300. It didn't make a bit of difference. frown

What a mystery. I've scoured the internet and could come up with nothing. I can't believe I'm the only this has happened to.

C'est la vie.

I appreciate all your and the others' time and effort. Off I go to Firefox. Boo!

Rita
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/05/12 08:08 PM

What a mystery. I've scoured the internet and could come up with nothing. I can't believe I'm the only this has happened to.

C'est la vie.

I appreciate all your and the others' time and effort. Off I go to Firefox. Boo!

Rita

Well, if it's come down to that, why don't you just reinstall Safari? It's your preferred browser, and you've certainly got nothing to lose.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/05/12 10:13 PM
Rita,

If you wouldn't mind doing some testing to see if this can be solved one way or another would you be willing to download and try one or two other browsers?

Google Chrome is based on the same webkit Apple uses and it would be interesting to see if it suffers from the same malady.

You also might like to try Camino that uses the same Gheko engine as Firefox, but to me feels a lot more Mac-like.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/06/12 02:24 AM
Hi:

I really don't want to download another browser at this point. I'm balking at reinstalling Safari. I will keep it in mind for the future though. Thank you.

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Rita,

If you wouldn't mind doing some testing to see if this can be solved one way or another would you be willing to download and try one or two other browsers?

Google Chrome is based on the same webkit Apple uses and it would be interesting to see if it suffers from the same malady.

You also might like to try Camino that uses the same Gheko engine as Firefox, but to me feels a lot more Mac-like.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/06/12 02:29 AM
Artie:

If I reinstall Safari, I will also have to update it because I have an older version from my CD. I can do that, I guess, but will have to go to a wifi coffee house because if it takes a lot of megabites to update the original, it will eat all my bandwidth. I have Starband at it's lowest and only allowed one Gig a week or I am cut off. A reason I don't watch videos.

If I choose to do this, how do I put my same bookmarks back into the newly downloaded Safari? I know I can save them on my desktop to keep them from being deleted when I remove Safari, but I want them back into the new Safari when I am done. Thanks.

Rita

C'est la vie.

Rita

Well, if it's come down to that, why don't you just reinstall Safari? It's your preferred browser, and you've certainly got nothing to lose.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/06/12 07:12 AM
Artie:

If I reinstall Safari, I will also have to update it because I have an older version from my CD. I can do that, I guess, but will have to go to a wifi coffee house because if it takes a lot of megabites to update the original, it will eat all my bandwidth. I have Starband at it's lowest and only allowed one Gig a week or I am cut off. A reason I don't watch videos.

If I choose to do this, how do I put my same bookmarks back into the newly downloaded Safari? I know I can save them on my desktop to keep them from being deleted when I remove Safari, but I want them back into the new Safari when I am done. Thanks.

Rita

I wouldn't get involved with an install disc just yet, Rita; for starters, I'd just re-run the Safari 4.1.3 (the latest version of Safari for Tiger) updater...only a 29.46Mb d/l, so your bandwidth cap won't be strained.

As for your bookmarks (~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, presumably), simply move them back from your desktop to ~/Library/Safari after you've re-updated Safari. (Edit: Elect to replace the existing file if you're asked.)

Also, and please excuse the repeat if this has come up before, in view of your bandwidth cap I suggest that you save the Safari updater and all other d/l's against future need and bandwidth limitations.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/06/12 07:20 PM
You mean even though I have Safari 4.1.3, re-download it to my browser again without doing anything else, or should I delete Safari first? No, then I couldn't update it, duh! Do I need to corral everything in Safari first (somehow) to not get them mixed up? Rita

Artie:

Rita

I wouldn't get involved with an install disc just yet, Rita; for starters, I'd just re-run the Safari 4.1.3 (the latest version of Safari for Tiger) updater...only a 29.46Mb d/l, so your bandwidth cap won't be strained.

As for your bookmarks (~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, presumably), simply move them back from your desktop to ~/Library/Safari after you've re-updated Safari. (Edit: Elect to replace the existing file if you're asked.)

Also, and please excuse the repeat if this has come up before, in view of your bandwidth cap I suggest that you save the Safari updater and all other d/l's against future need and bandwidth limitations.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 06:56 AM
> Do I need to corral everything in Safari first (somehow) to not get them mixed up? Rita

You shouldn't run into any "mix-up" issues, Rita; the Safari updater will simply "refresh" Safari and leave its ancillary files untouched.

If it will make you more comfortable, though, navigate to /Users/your short name/Library/Safari, select it, and hit command-D to create a duplicate that the updater won't even find, let alone touch.
Posted By: ryck Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 09:22 AM
Hello Rita:

I've followed this thread and others that you've begun and wonder if you wouldn't benefit from a "Tiger Edition" of David Pogue's "Mac OSX The Missing Manual". It's 850 pages of well written and illustrated, easy to understand information.

I have a copy from when I was OS 10.4 and it's now collecting dust. If you'd like like to have it, I'll be quite happy to send it along. Just send a private email to me at this address "dpi (at) shaw (dot) ca" with the mailing details. You'll be doing me a favour too...I need the shelf space but hate to throw books away.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 09:50 AM
cool
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 04:51 PM
Thanks, Artie. That makes it safer for me. smile
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 04:55 PM
Hi Ryck:

OK, now I'm embarrassed! I have had that book ever since I've had my iBook. I've gotten out of the habit of using it because it never seemed to answer my questions. Thanks for reminding me of it, though. I will search there first before I ask questions from now on.

Please don't toss your book. Maybe offer it on Freecycle or give it to a second hand store. I can't bear to toss books, either. I always give them away.

P.S. I really do appreciate the reminder about that book. Duh!! blush

Rita
Posted By: ryck Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 05:17 PM
OK, now I'm embarrassed! I have had that book ever since I've had my iBook........P.S. I really do appreciate the reminder about that book. Duh!! blush

Hi Rita:

No need to be embarrassed. You're probably like me in that FTM is often a preferable solution source due to the social aspect and the way FTM folks can make things more comprehensible by relating to their identical or similar experiences.

Please don't toss your book. Maybe offer it on Freecycle or give it to a second hand store. I can't bear to toss books, either.

Not to worry....the local newspaper has an annual book drive where they sell used books with the proceeds going to charity. And, as I look at bookshelves around the house, I can see a number of other good candidates.

Be well.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Can't print from Safari - 01/07/12 05:20 PM
Thanks, Ryck. That worked out for both of us!!

Rita
© FineTunedMac