Home
Posted By: jaybass transferring addresses - 01/20/11 05:10 PM
OS 10.5.8
I want to transfer the addresses from my server's mail to apples address book. I have tried to find a way without success.
Just what is the process?....please.
jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: transferring addresses - 01/20/11 05:43 PM
So give us a hint--what have you tried?

Did you export them in the card format that Address Book recognizes?
Posted By: jaybass Re: transferring addresses - 01/20/11 06:29 PM
I opened the servers mail app then I opened apple's address book.
Then exported servers addresses as abook.csv but it was grayed out in the download window. I then dragged it out of downloads to the desktop (in desperation) with the same result.
Any ideas?
jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: transferring addresses - 01/21/11 04:49 PM
I qualify this by saying I am not sitting in front of a Mac as I write, so regretfully I am missing a specific. BUT Address Book uses the "card format" (this is the missing specific; I don't remember the exact name), while CSV is a generic comma separated format (most often used with spreadsheets).

Can you export from the server in another format, or is there something that takes CSV and converts it into AB format?

When I get in front of a Mac I will check and see if I can answer my own questions for you, if no one else has beforehand.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: transferring addresses - 01/21/11 05:19 PM
Ira's question brings up the need for another piece of information. What "server" are you trying to download these addresses from? That can have a huge impact on what particular format it can export to.

Note: the vCard (.Vcf) format used by Apple's AddressBook is commonly used on both Mac and Windows.
Posted By: dianne Re: transferring addresses - 01/22/11 12:10 AM
Hi, jaybass

Just in case anything in this link might of use to you: Importing contacts into Address Book
Posted By: jaybass Re: transferring addresses - 01/22/11 03:14 PM
Thank you Ira, joe & diana for your input.
I managed to solve the problem yesterday like this:
Open server's mail (PRIMUS by name) tools> address book> tools> export> window showing abook.csv> save file to downloads. Open apple's address book> file> import> text file> downloads> abook.csv (click)> open> imported!!!
Where there is a will, there is a way...thank God.
jaybass

Posted By: Ira L Re: transferring addresses - 01/22/11 05:17 PM
All's well that's ends well. smirk
© FineTunedMac