Home
Posted By: kevs Read only issue - 09/21/10 04:52 PM
I have file, read/ write on desktop.
It's read write on the laptop via router / network.
But when open now get this new message:

File is being modified by Kevs, open as read- only or choose to be notified or altered when available.

These network/read write issues never seem to end! I'm wiped out, any ideas? thanks!
Posted By: tacit Re: Read only issue - 09/21/10 07:19 PM
Is it open in another program at the same time? Normally you will see that message if you open the file in more than one program, or on more than one computer, at once.
Posted By: kevs Re: Read only issue - 09/21/10 11:41 PM
TACIT,
thanks, well I never open the file in more than one program.
JUst an exel file opened in only excel. Sometimes it could be open on the desktop and the laptop. But I remember it being close on the desktop. So I'm puzzled. I fixed it now by renaming it, but I wonder what this was..
Posted By: kevs Re: Read only issue - 09/27/10 10:14 PM
the issue is back, I"m just in tears, file says read write on both ends, laptop and desktop, rebooted both, says read write when open on laptop. wiped out.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Read only issue - 09/28/10 02:32 PM
It depends on why the file is locked. If it's a filesystem lock, the path of least resistance is to simply duplicate the file and delete the original. (or usually a reboot will fix it too)

Some documents/applications can set a flag IN the document to indicate it's being edited however. If that's the case, simply duplicating the file won't fix it. You can have a file that may be very very difficult to unlock if the app crashed while it was being modified.

Let us know if duplicating the file / rebooting doesn't help.
Posted By: kevs Re: Read only issue - 09/28/10 04:01 PM
V
thanks did not work, did the two reboots, duped the file, renamed it original name.

I have three read writes on my end, one with my name, one with admin, one with everyone.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Read only issue - 09/28/10 08:10 PM
ok maybe I misunderstood... is this a file permissions issue, as in Get Info and see who has access to the file?

You sound like you might be in a rush to get this fixed, feel free to ichat or skype chat/vid me. "virtual1one" on either. Just be sure to introduce yourself.
Posted By: kevs Re: Read only issue - 09/29/10 12:39 AM
Well, no massive rush, but each day I have to do save as and email my self the file.
I had assistants on windows with this issue, but now I'm having this, and I'm on Mac! My files are not my own.

EVERYTHING says read write, yes when they open up on the network they are read only. all the files now.
Posted By: tacit Re: Read only issue - 09/29/10 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: kevs
Sometimes it could be open on the desktop and the laptop.

That's the problem.

With files like Excel files, you can never have them open read/write in two places at the same time. If you open it on the desktop, then open it on the laptop while it is still open on the desktop, it will be read-only on the laptop. And vice versa.

It absolutely MUST be open from only ONE place in order to be read-write. If you see the read-only message, close it everywhere, then open it from the place you want to write it from.
Posted By: kevs Re: Read only issue - 09/29/10 03:00 PM
Tacit,
it is closed on the desktop!
Totally closed on desktop end.
Posted By: tacit Re: Read only issue - 09/30/10 08:03 PM
In that case, you've got me flummoxed.
Posted By: kevs Re: Read only issue - 09/30/10 08:18 PM
think I solved it by going to all parent folders and asking to apply to enclosed items. trick got from Apple tech long time ago.-- year ago when got the imac and had huge permissions issues
© FineTunedMac