Home
Posted By: plantsower USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 04:00 AM
I can't tell with the description here if this is what I want. I just want an adapter that fits into my old usb hub on one end and can receive a USB-C cable. Is this it? Since it mentions micro and micro-B it threw me off. USB-C adapter
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 05:18 AM
From your description, your linked device sounds like the reverse of what you're looking for.

I think one like this is what you want.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 05:30 AM
I think you're right. Have you ever ordered from that site?

Originally Posted by artie505
From your description, your linked device sounds like the reverse of what you're looking for.

I think one like this is what you want.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by plantsower
I think you're right. Have you ever ordered from that site?
No, I haven't, nor would I ever buy anything that cheap - It's REALLY low-end. (It just happened to be the first one I ran across.)

I'm with joemike on "you get what you pay for," although I'm not as extreme as he is about it.

There are a bunch of them here, but I hesitate to recommend without being certain what you intend to use it for.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 06:32 PM
There are a bunch of them [url=https://www.amazon.com/s? Yes, I saw these. I don't know why on eBay they don't have them or call them something different. So that's why I asked in the first place. I don't have prime so I didn't want to pay the price plus $5.99 shipping for two little adaptors on Amazon, but I may have to.

I hesitate to recommend without being certain what you intend to use it for. [/quote] My bluetooth speaker gave up the ghost so I need to buy another one. The one I am looking at says I need a USB-C charging unit for it. I looked at other speakers and they didn't mention anything about what I need to charge the speaker, so that's unhelpful of them.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 08:22 PM
There are a bunch of them [url=https://www.amazon.com/s? Yes, I saw these. I don't know why on eBay they don't have them or call them something different. So that's why I asked in the first place. I don't have prime so I didn't want to pay the price plus $5.99 shipping for two little adaptors on Amazon, but I may have to.
There are plenty of them on eBay on these pages: <https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...Loc=1&rt=nc&_udlo=5&_udhi=10>
&
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...Loc=1&rt=nc&_udlo=5&_udhi=10>

You've just got to go through the listings and pick 'em out by eye. (I buy only domestic, so all non-US listings are filtered out of my results. I've also specified a $5-$10 price range.)

My bluetooth speaker gave up the ghost so I need to buy another one. The one I am looking at says I need a USB-C charging unit for it. I looked at other speakers and they didn't mention anything about what I need to charge the speaker, so that's unhelpful of them.
I know nothing from speakers or charging units, so I'm not even sure what you actually need. Better to wait for someone knowledgeable.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 09:01 PM

Thank you. I don't know why I couldn't find them. These are the ones I bought.
Adaptor Hope it's right. I'm pretty sure it's right. If I don't get a speaker that needs a USB-C after all, nothing wasted. I know more and more products require it and so then I will be prepared. Thanks for your help.

There are plenty of them on eBay on these pages: <https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...Loc=1&rt=nc&_udlo=5&_udhi=10>
&
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...Loc=1&rt=nc&_udlo=5&_udhi=10>

You've just got to go through the listings and pick 'em out by eye. (I buy only domestic, so all non-US listings are filtered out of my results. I've also specified a $5-$10 price range.)

My bluetooth speaker gave up the ghost so I need to buy another one. The one I am looking at says I need a USB-C charging unit for it. I looked at other speakers and they didn't mention anything about what I need to charge the speaker, so that's unhelpful of them.
I know nothing from speakers or charging units, so I'm not even sure what you actually need. Better to wait for someone knowledgeable.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 09:57 PM

Thank you. I don't know why I couldn't find them. These are the ones I bought.
Adaptor Hope it's right. I'm pretty sure it's right. If I don't get a speaker that needs a USB-C after all, nothing wasted. I know more and more products require it and so then I will be prepared. Thanks for your help.
They're the ones we've been discussing, but I'm at a loss as to what a "USB-C charging unit" is.Please link me to the speakers you've been looking at.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 10:10 PM
.Please link me to the speakers you've been looking at.

This one.

I can see now that the description doesn't say usb-c but if you look at the 3rd small picture on the left in zoom mode you can see it shows and says type C charge slot. Also, in the comments they mention it.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 10:24 PM
I can see now that the description doesn't say usb-c but if you look at the 3rd small picture on the left in zoom mode you can see it shows and says type C charge slot. Also, in the comments they mention it.
Yeah, I see that, but I also see "What's in the box / Usb Cable."
So, the question is what's at the other end of that cable? That's the adapter you'd need.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 10:28 PM
Yikes, well we will see. Did you read the comments saying usb-c? Anyway, I know I will need it in the future regardless. I might be looking for another adapter once I get it. Thanks again.

So, the question is what's at the other end of that cable? That's the adapter you'd need. [/quote]
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/10/23 10:44 PM
Now I'm wondering if the port into the speaker is usb-c and the other end just usb which I have. Here is a one minute video showing it.

So, the question is what's at the other end of that cable? That's the adapter you'd need.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/11/23 04:06 AM
I can't make out much from the video, but a USB A connector doesn't seem likely.

At today's date, I expect it to be a USB C charging cable, which would require the adapter.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/11/23 04:34 AM
I can't make out much from the video, really? I thought it was pretty plain. but a USB A connector doesn't seem likely.

At today's date, I expect it to be a USB C charging cable, which would require the adapter.

I'll let you know.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/11/23 04:38 AM
It clearly showed a USB C port on the speaker, but I didn't see the other end of the cable.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/11/23 05:54 AM
Right. I assumed it was a regular older USB type. Can't wait to find out.

It clearly showed a USB C port on the speaker, but I didn't see the other end of the cable.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 03:26 AM
It is a usb port on the end of the cable and the other end fit into the usb-c port on the speaker. So it ends up I didn't need those adapters anyway. But for the future I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not upset that I purchased them.

Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 04:01 AM
It is a usb port on the end of the cable and the other end fit into the usb-c port on the speaker. So it ends up I didn't need those adapters anyway. But for the future I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not upset that I purchased them.
By "USB port," it sounds like you mean a male USB A connector.

Before I conflate ports and technologies again, I'm going to pass this one to joemike.
Posted By: Gregg Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 01:34 PM
In this case it's the distinction between the "plug" (or jack) and the "port" (or socket). The cable does not have a port on it, as it plugs into the port on the device.
Terminology is important, perhaps never more than when technology is the subject. Of course, the words "technical" and "technology" come from the same root.
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gregg
In this case it's the distinction between the "plug" (or jack) and the "port" (or socket). The cable does not have a port on it, as it plugs into the port on the device.
Terminology is important, perhaps never more than when technology is the subject. Of course, the words "technical" and "technology" come from the same root.
Correct. Rita used incorrect terminology, i.e., "port," rather than "male," "jack," or "plug."
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 05:50 PM
Consider the source!
Originally Posted by Gregg
Correct. Rita used incorrect terminology, i.e., "port," rather than "male," "jack," or "plug."
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 06:36 PM
Consider the source!
Huh?
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 06:37 PM
Me! I am clueless about these things. So, of course, I said the wrong thing.

Consider the source!
Huh?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 09:34 PM
Consider the source!

And why should you be any less confused than probably ninety percent of the computer using public?
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 09:44 PM
I'm definitely more confused than the moderators and all you guys that help me!

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Consider the source!

And why should you be any less confused than probably ninety percent of the computer using public?
Posted By: artie505 Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/20/23 11:03 PM
Consider the source!

We can thank USB C for compounding the problem.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/21/23 02:26 AM
Right. I wish they would leave well enough alone.

Consider the source!

Posted By: joemikeb Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/21/23 06:43 PM

Make that Intel and their marketing department's attempts at making a sow's ear appear to an uninformed public to be a silk purse. (USB is an Intel technology.)

Right. I wish they would leave well enough alone.

They won't and you don't really want them to. Like death and taxes, change is inevitable. The problem is not everyone agrees on what changes are progress.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/21/23 07:10 PM
I just think we should have a choice. Not everyone wants to upgrade and then have to pay for dongles because they decide to remove certain things like ethernet ports, ear phone ports for those that aren't into bluetooth (I am). They could have all the fancy stuff for people who want it and have some basic products for those who like things the way they are. Maybe not the best business model but more ethical and client friendly. Whatever happened to those values?

They won't and you don't really want them to. Like death and taxes, change is inevitable. The problem is not everyone agrees on what changes are progress. [/quote]
Posted By: joemikeb Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/21/23 09:01 PM
I just think we should have a choice. Not everyone wants to upgrade and then have to pay for dongles because they decide to remove certain things like ethernet ports, ear phone ports for those that aren't into bluetooth (I am). They could have all the fancy stuff for people who want it and have some basic products for those who like things the way they are. Maybe not the best business model but more ethical and client friendly. Whatever happened to those values?

Apple does offer a choice, the iPad and iPad Pro. They are lighter, less expensive, have longer battery life, are simpler to use, arguably more secure, and offer features not available on the Mac such as forward and backward facing cameras, Apple Pencil compatibility, and cellular networking.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/21/23 09:50 PM
Maybe I will think about that the next time one of my Macs goes south. I guess I could get used to their smaller size. I remember when I went to a friend's house and she had an iPad. I thought I could easily work it without instructions because I had a Mac. Couldn't be that different, right? But all the swiping caught me off guard, and I couldn't figure it out. Also, I type a lot with my Mac in my lap. I'm not sure that would work with an iPad with a built in digital keypad. Or if I could attach one it wouldn't sit solidly on my lap. So, there's that.

With that being said, I do have a choice to get an iPad, but it doesn't have any of those things that Apple removed from the MacBook, does it? If that's the case, I can't see the point of me getting one. Cheaper is fine, but more inconvenient is not.

Apple does offer a choice, the iPad and iPad Pro. They are lighter, less expensive, have longer battery life, are simpler to use, arguably more secure, and offer features not available on the Mac such as forward and backward facing cameras, Apple Pencil compatibility, and cellular networking.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/22/23 11:10 PM
I have no idea what any all
of those things that Apple removed from the MacBook.
are, but the iPad doesn't have an optical disk drive, hard drive, touchbar, or Thunderbolt port, It does have a USB Type C connector for power and external USB device connectivity, but there is only one. Data entry is via your choice of a mechanical keyboard with a MacBook-like trackpad, voice dictation, handwriting recognition and drawing using an Apple Pencil. Control can be your choice of fingertip gestures, Apple Pencil gestures, or trackpad gestures, and connectivity via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, or cellular connections. It also has an excellent camera (albeit not up to the resolution available on the iPhone 14 Pro). Personally, I don't know which is more frustrating, trying to use finger gestures on my Studio's monitor (I am always having to clean off the fingerprints) or forgetting that I can use the trackpad on the iPad's keyboard, and it always takes a few minutes to re-calibrate my brain to the device. Fortunately, I have a trackpad on my Studio so the gestures are just about the same between the two devices.) When I am relaxing in my chair, I find I often remove the mechanical keyboard, cradel th iPad in my arms (that sounds weird, but it is accurate) and use the Apple Pencil and Script for input. IPadOS's simplicity does require some re-thinking to perform familiar tasks, but there are any number of routine macOS tasks that are superfluous and quickly forgotten.

Obviously I am a fan of the iPad, but it is not for everyone. However, based on your questions and issues over the years, I suspect you would quickly be better served with an iPad.
Posted By: plantsower Re: USB-C Adapter - 01/22/23 11:50 PM
Thanks Joe for all that information. It certainly gives me food for thought.

I have no idea what any all
of those things that Apple removed from the MacBook.
are, but the iPad doesn't have an optical disk drive, hard drive, touchbar, or Thunderbolt port, It does have a USB Type C connector for power and external USB device connectivity, but there is only one. Data entry is via your choice of a mechanical keyboard with a MacBook-like trackpad, voice dictation, handwriting recognition and drawing using an Apple Pencil. Control can be your choice of fingertip gestures, Apple Pencil gestures, or trackpad gestures, and connectivity via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, or cellular connections. It also has an excellent camera (albeit not up to the resolution available on the iPhone 14 Pro). Personally, I don't know which is more frustrating, trying to use finger gestures on my Studio's monitor (I am always having to clean off the fingerprints) or forgetting that I can use the trackpad on the iPad's keyboard, and it always takes a few minutes to re-calibrate my brain to the device. Fortunately, I have a trackpad on my Studio so the gestures are just about the same between the two devices.) When I am relaxing in my chair, I find I often remove the mechanical keyboard, cradel th iPad in my arms (that sounds weird, but it is accurate) and use the Apple Pencil and Script for input. IPadOS's simplicity does require some re-thinking to perform familiar tasks, but there are any number of routine macOS tasks that are superfluous and quickly forgotten.

Obviously I am a fan of the iPad, but it is not for everyone. However, based on your questions and issues over the years, I suspect you would quickly be better served with an iPad.
© FineTunedMac