Home
Posted By: plantsower Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 01:08 AM
Can someone please tell me how to change the name of my B/T device (B/T speaker) on my Mac? When I right click on it from the drop down list from my B/T icon, nothing happens. There is a button to connect but no option to change the name. Thanks.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 10:52 AM
Just a thought: Select the B/T icon and then press Return. If all goes well, the name will be highlighted and then you can change it. When finished, press Return again.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 02:30 PM
The name of a Bluetooth, or any other network device, is established when you setup the device, and not all network devices have a mechanism for assigning a the device a name. If your Bluetooth speaker is an Apple HomePod you would have set it up initially following these instructions. In order to change the name you would first have to reset it following these instructions then give it the desired new name when you set it up again. If the Bluetooth speaker is a third party device then you are on your own and may not be able to change its name at all.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 06:17 PM
Thanks. Just tried that and it didn't work. frown

Originally Posted by jchuzi
Just a thought: Select the B/T icon and then press Return. If all goes well, the name will be highlighted and then you can change it. When finished, press Return again.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 06:18 PM
It's not an Apple product so perhaps I am on my own. frown The name given is K7 and has nothing to do with the name of the product. I don't always remember what K7 i stands for, so that's why I wanted to change it.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
The name of a Bluetooth, or any other network device, is established when you setup the device, and not all network devices have a mechanism for assigning a the device a name. If your Bluetooth speaker is an Apple HomePod you would have set it up initially following these instructions. In order to change the name you would first have to reset it following these instructions then give it the desired new name when you set it up again. If the Bluetooth speaker is a third party device then you are on your own and may not be able to change its name at all.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by plantsower
It's not an Apple product so perhaps I am on my own. frown The name given is K7 and has nothing to do with the name of the product. I don't always remember what K7 i stands for, so that's why I wanted to change it.
The name displayed is the name that is broadcast by the network device. You might check with the device manufacturer to see if they can suggest a way go change the name, but I wouldn't put a money bet that one exists.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Changing name of B/T Device - 04/21/21 09:42 PM
It's an off brand B/T speaker so I doubt they can help. Thanks for the idea though.

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by plantsower
The name displayed is the name that is broadcast by the network device. You might check with the device manufacturer to see if they can suggest a way go change the name, but I wouldn't put a money bet that one exists.
© FineTunedMac