Home
Posted By: jaybass External tray loading optical drive - 03/27/20 04:07 PM
OS 10.12.6

I loaded a DVD into my Lacie external drive but it does not show on the desktop. I checked the preferences in the finder and the appropriate boxes are ticked. I ran first aid but to no avail. I ejected the DVD couple of times to see if that made a difference but it's still not showing. I'm sure the drive is not defective. What to do now?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: External tray loading optical drive - 03/27/20 06:17 PM
Assuming that your LaCie is connected via USB, take a look under the USB tab in System Profiler or System Information (whichever it's called in Sierra) and see if it's recognized.

Either the drive or the port itself may be bad. Have you got another device you can try in that port as a test?
Posted By: freelance Re: External tray loading optical drive - 03/27/20 06:21 PM
If the drive is connected via USB, pull the plug and reinsert. This works for my Pioneer drive.

How did you eject the DVD? By a button on the front of the drive, or via the menu bar on the computer?
Posted By: jaybass Re: External tray loading optical drive - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
USB...yes. eject by button on front of drive..yes. About my Mac the drive is listed ok.

What I have done is to insert a blank DVD and it it shows ok. The DVD I had in was the DVD for photoshop 10...I guess that's the reason it doesn't appear. I wanted to put it on a thumb drive for convenience. I suppose photoshop won't let me copy it.

Now I know. jaybass

© FineTunedMac