Home
Posted By: kevs What is this coverter? - 02/25/20 04:42 PM
I have this from laptop to my external display. I want to replace it, but not sure of it's a what to what? thanks!

https://postimg.cc/xqqdwfC9
Posted By: artie505 Re: What is this coverter? - 02/25/20 05:22 PM
Your pic of the small end is awful, but it looks like it may be either an Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter or a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: What is this coverter? - 02/25/20 06:43 PM
The icon on the larger (female) connector indicates it is a DVI port, and the smaller (male) connector is not the right shape or proportion for HDMI. So I think Artie's second suggestion is the right one. It is a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor.
Posted By: kevs Re: What is this coverter? - 02/25/20 07:02 PM
thanks guys.

The one I have now I think then is the $30 Apple. It would nice to have a backup right on hand in case it fries, but now that I know what it, I could just order as needed.

Your opinion Joe? And also would stay with Apple and pay triple for be open to 3rd party, I "think" this is the cheap option: and would you or do you keep backups on hand or just order as needed. I only bring up as this is my main TV display for the house/ kitchen I watch the most.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Mini-DisplayPort-Black/dp/B00DJCB83O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GDQB2QRRVX2W&keywords=mini+displayport+to+dvi&qid=1582660675&sprefix=Mini+DisplayPort+to+DVI%2Caps%2C274&sr=8-3

Finally , what is the cable name that goes from the converter to the display. Maybe I'll get a back up for that ready too.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: What is this coverter? - 02/26/20 05:17 PM
In my experience with all sorts of cables and adaptors the Rule of Thumb is...
Quote:
You get what you pay for!
. To put it another way, the less you pay for a connector or adaptor the more likely you will need to replace it at some point. Or in even another way of looking at it a cheap product may save money in the short term but end up costing more in the long term because you are more likely to have to replace it. You have a mini display port to DVI adaptor but to be useful for connecting to your TV you will still need a DVI to DVI connector cable that will run another $11 or roughly the same as the adaptor cable you were looking at. (Note the key words "connector" and "adaptor".)

Depending on your TV and your Mac there may be better, higher quality and resolution, options available at the same or lower cost. If your TV has an HDMI port then a Mini Display port to HDMI would be a less expensive solution. If your Mac and your TV both have HDMI ports then HDMI to HDMI would be simpler, better, and even less expensive. NOTE: I am not necessarily recommending the Amazon Basics brand, but they gave an easy price comparison for the various options.

CAUTION: when dealing with Apple proprietary technology such as Lightning or Thunderbolt 3 always look for products that are Apple Certfied. I recently purchased a lightning to HDMI adaptor so I could play my iPhone and iPad videos through a TV. There were several adaptors, some supposedly Apple Certified, but all carried a caveat that apps such as YouTube, or Amazon Prime that carry protected media might/would not play through the adaptor. The Apple adaptor alone carried no such limitation. You must read all the details.
Posted By: kevs Re: What is this coverter? - 02/26/20 05:39 PM
Great post Joe, thanks!

Ok you talked sense into me.. Apple all the way on that adapter. Good point on apple certified:

I bought a wine -- what call, goes into wine bottles and pump air out.. and turns out months later, it looked perfect but did not work at all. Was total counterfeit. Bad items on Amazon are endemic. Yes only order from Apple. That said, I've been buying on Amazon for 20 years, but man, careful.

I've been having glitchy close calls with the adapter, it's, but still going good, so I'm tempted to just buy this, the Apple adapter and the connector when fully goes bad.... or could buy it all here now and have in hand for testing, maybe do that.. as this is an important set up, TV in the kitchen.

This cheap $100 in kitchen, display does not have the HMDI option. Though my Samsungs TV in living room and bedroom do. I hardly ever use those TVs, but I do have that connector as well for when I do.
© FineTunedMac