Home
Posted By: freelance Message from inkjet printer? - 02/15/20 11:49 AM
I received an email from Canon today telling me that the magenta ink in my TS8351 inkjet printer was running low and would I like to replace it, just click the link.

I have Little Snitch on my Mac. How the heck did my printer communicate with Canon without my knowledge or permission. Well, I did go online to enable my warranty, maybe I checked a box without paying attention. Still, Little Snitch should have told me there was and outgoing message via some sort of Canon app?

The printer is connected via a USB cable, but also has wi-fi enabled.

Any clues? Thanks.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Message from inkjet printer? - 02/15/20 03:41 PM
Perhaps there's a Little Snitch log which its devs can examine and determine what happened? You may have inadvertently enabled the connection sometime in the past.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Message from inkjet printer? - 02/15/20 05:20 PM
By any chance do you have another device (iPhone, Android, etc.) that links to your printer? If so that may be where the "phone home" occurred.
Posted By: freelance Re: Message from inkjet printer? - 02/15/20 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
By any chance do you have another device (iPhone, Android, etc.) that links to your printer? If so that may be where the "phone home" occurred.

My phone has a Canon app on it. I've switched it off now and I'll wait to see what happens when the next ink container needs replacing.

Thanks!
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Message from inkjet printer? - 02/15/20 11:38 PM
Please let us know one way or the other. I, for one, am curious to see if that is where the "leak" occurred as I have a similar apps on my iPhone for Canon and Brother but so far all I have received are Notifications when an ink cartridge is low.
Posted By: freelance Re: Message from inkjet printer? - 02/16/20 08:31 AM
I will report back, if and when... confused
Posted By: ryck Re: Message from inkjet printer? - 02/16/20 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: freelance
How the heck did my printer communicate with Canon without my knowledge or permission. Well, I did go online to enable my warranty, maybe I checked a box without paying attention.

Could be. I recently set up a new Canon TR8520 and, in the section where you can agree or not to send information to Canon, it has a line about what is sent: "Usage history such as the type of ink installed, ink usage information, the number of sheets printed, scanning frequency, and maintenance information, etc."
© FineTunedMac