Home
Posted By: plantsower Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 03:21 AM
Hi Guys:

I can't believe it but my husband finally bought a Mac! He got a used late 2009 iMac, but it came with the wrong keyboard. It's a windows keyboard. Anyway, we need to buy one on the cheap, and I am wondering if any wired Mac keyboard is going to work on this model. And if there is keyboard to stay away from.

Thanks.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 09:42 AM
I'm using an old wired Apple keyboard (plastic keys) with my 2014 iMac. It had originally been used with a 2008 Mac Pro. It works without problems. I also have a more modern wired Apple keyboard with metal, chiclet keys. It works fine but I prefer the feel of the plastic. IMHO, any wired Apple keyboard should work.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 03:35 PM
Good. Thank you, Jon.

Rita

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I'm using an old wired Apple keyboard (plastic keys) with my 2014 iMac. It had originally been used with a 2008 Mac Pro. It works without problems. I also have a more modern wired Apple keyboard with metal, chiclet keys. It works fine but I prefer the feel of the plastic. IMHO, any wired Apple keyboard should work.
Posted By: Ira L Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 04:41 PM
Other than Windows logos on some keys and "alt' Instead of "option", what is wrong with using the original keyboard? I would be curious to know if some things don't work right.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 04:48 PM
Hi Ira:

Well, since the keyboard doesn't have the control/option/command keys, I don't know how to use it for certain functions. I use those keys a lot.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Other than Windows logos on some keys and "alt' Instead of "option", what is wrong with using the original keyboard? I would be curious to know if some things don't work right.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 05:57 PM
Most windows keyboards work fine on Mac, but the Windows and Alt keys swap positions. (can also happen when using a KVM)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 06:33 PM
Hi:

When I looked up the K120 Logitech keyboard, it said it was not compatible with a Mac. But if it is by switching keys, can you tell me which key would be the option key and which would be the command key? I can then label them.

Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Most windows keyboards work fine on Mac, but the Windows and Alt keys swap positions. (can also happen when using a KVM)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/04/19 07:57 PM
Do you think this is necessary or just use the Windows Key as the Option key and the Alt key as the command key? remapping

Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/05/19 05:05 PM
the keys are just physically switched on the keyboard, they're just on the left and right side of the space bar.

Posted By: plantsower Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/05/19 07:10 PM
Sorry, I'm not comprehending. Do I need to do the remapping or not?
blush

the keys are just physically switched on the keyboard, they're just on the left and right side of the space bar.

Posted By: joemikeb Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/05/19 07:36 PM
Originally Posted By: plantsower
blush

You do not NEED to do the remapping, you could just mark the keys appropriately and learn that on that keyboard the position of the command (⌘) and option (⌥) keys are reversed. If your husband is a skilled touch typest whose fingers automatically go to the Apple keyboard positions for ⌘ and ⌥ then remapping would probably be very important to him.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Wired Keyboard - 04/05/19 09:40 PM
Got it. He is not skilled and not used to Apple. It only bothers me. Thank you for clarifying. wink

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: plantsower
blush

You do not NEED to do the remapping, you could just mark the keys appropriately and learn that on that keyboard the position of the command (⌘) and option (⌥) keys are reversed. If your husband is a skilled touch typest whose fingers automatically go to the Apple keyboard positions for ⌘ and ⌥ then remapping would probably be very important to him.
© FineTunedMac