Home
Can I prevent ._Appledouble and .DS_Store files on FAT32/exFAT formatted USB flash drives? Or otherwise delete those (on my Mac!), in order to (1) not confuse the print shop operator, or (2) not confuse the several devices that can read (play) images and audio files from said drive.
• “We can’t read this.”     —“No, not the ._file, the other one.”
• “File format error,” every other file in a slide show.
I hope there is a solution for that. In a sort-of automated way.
Marcel Bresink's Tinkertool and Tinkertool System will set an option to not create the .DS_Store files over a network connection but there is no provision for not creating them by drive format, ie. FAT32/ExFAT. Apparently there is no way to prevent their creation on local or attached devices, but there are removal tools such as DotCleaner ($1.99 on the App Store) that will remove them.
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
… there are removal tools such as DotCleaner that will remove them.

Thanks! Search found that this app is pretty much a GUI for the dot_clean command, which has a history going back to at least OS X 10.5 (2007).
Code:
dot_clean /Volumes/KINGSTON2GB
seems easy enough.
here's the full lowdown on blocking network creation, and the command to remove files already created

https://apple.stackexchange.com/question...network-storage

and I agree, I don't know of any way to block their creation on non-hfs volumes. Mount it read-only maybe? don't browse folders in finder?
© FineTunedMac