Home
Posted By: jaybass printer - 01/01/17 07:16 PM
I have a HP printer model #4620 which requires new cartridges.
Question: Can I replace them with all black cartridges and does anyone know if it would print?
Thanks, jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: printer - 01/01/17 08:20 PM
If you set the print options to Black and White and/or Gray shade it should print all right using only the one black cartridge. I haven't tried it, but replacing all the ink cartridges with black I would expect any "color" output to be pretty much an indistinguishable smudge.
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/02/17 02:30 PM
Joe, I cannot find any print options to re-set. What I'm thinking of doing is to run the CD again to see if there is any options there. I can't remember any of the contents but I'm hoping something will appear. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your reply. jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: printer - 01/02/17 03:28 PM
I ran my old Lexmark Z515 with a working black cartridge and a dead black cartridge in the color slot, and every black & white/color doc I printed came out in clear black and white; depending on your printer, you may be able to run with your color slot(s) empty.

The only down side of what I did (of which I was aware) was I ran a certain amount of black ink through the color jets and undoubtedly destroyed their future color usefulness should I have needed it.

A call to HP, possibly followed by some experimentation, may be your best approach.
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/02/17 03:38 PM
I have just uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software and there is no provision to change the printer settings as regards black/greyscale or colour.
The information I received from HP forum wasn't possible either so I might consider a laser printer depending on price. Thanks. jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/02/17 03:48 PM
artie, There is some very possible irreversible problems that could render my printer unusable should I try what you did. However, you have probably read my last post to joe regarding a laser printer. As regards actually contacting HP, it's like looking for hen's teeth. I bought this printer from Staples so I might drop in and see if they have any advice. Happy new Year. jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: printer - 01/02/17 04:03 PM
Happy New Year to you and your family, jaybass! smile

When my Lexmark was no longer supported in OS X I bought a low end Canon laser printer - 700 page introductory cartridge - and have been beyond happy with it!

On the other hand, though, what real loss would you suffer should your HP die during an experiment?
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/02/17 05:35 PM
food for thought. I would have to buy cartridges though!!

From here I will be checking out laser printers.

Thanks for the greetings. jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: printer - 01/02/17 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
food for thought. I would have to buy cartridges though!!

From here I will be checking out laser printers.

Back to square one: your original thought was to "...replace them with all black cartridges."

Why not try your HP with just a single black cartridge in the appropriate slot and the color slots empty; could it do anything worse than balk? If it refuses to print with the empty slots you could try with dead color cartridges in them.

I highly recommend a laser printer; my Canon has been running since July 2013 on its intro cartridge which shows no signs of drying out as do inkjet cartridges.
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/03/17 01:56 PM
I did order a Brother HL-L2360DW laser printer plus a high yield black toner which will probably last longer than I will. It has decent reviews.

Now I have to find a way to get rid of this present printer. It only needs cartridges.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: printer - 01/03/17 02:13 PM
I did order a Brother HL-L2360DW laser printer plus a high yield black toner which will probably last longer than I will. It has decent reviews.

Now I have to find a way to get rid of this present printer. It only needs cartridges.

jaybass

The 700 page introductory cartridge that came with my Canon will probably last longer than I will (and a replacement costs as much as the entire printer cost, so I'm not likely to ever buy one).

I've got the luxury of having space, so I always save shipping materials against the possibilities of problems and resale.

I hope your new printer works to your satisfaction.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: printer - 01/03/17 04:40 PM
Joe, I cannot find any print options to re-set. What I'm thinking of doing is to run the CD again to see if there is any options there. I can't remember any of the contents but I'm hoping something will appear. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your reply. jaybass

You will find the settings in the print dialogue box that appears when you print something. It may take a little digging to find it as the exact location depends on the printer manufacturer to define.
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/03/17 05:08 PM
They tell that this cartridge is good for up to 2600 pages! Not too shabby.

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: printer - 01/03/17 05:12 PM
joe, As you will now know from my previous posts, more digging is not required.

But thank you for your responses.

jaybass
© FineTunedMac