Home
Posted By: deniro I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/08/16 04:08 PM
I noticed that most or all monitors today are widescreen. They look great. I bought a Dell for my parents to go with their Dell tower.

But I don't watch TV or movies on my computer. Neither do they. Given that web pages scrolls vertically, it makes sense to me to have a tall monitor rather than a wide one. But I don't see any out there. All wide.

The other thing I noticed is that even though a monitor is bigger, and is advertised as having "better" resolution, higher resolution, that doesn't mean you are seeing more on the screen. Is text easier to read or harder? Can you read more of it at once? If I buy a bigger monitor with a higher resolution, but I have to read the screen with my glasses, what have I gained? I would like to be able to scroll less, to have more text on the screen, and to have that text easy to read. This sounds obvious to me. And yet, in monitor reviews, this doesn't come up. It isn't talked about. You hear about high resolutions. Look at how beautiful this desktop picture of a flower looks. Wow! But how does it help me?

There's also the matter of 16:9 v. 16:10, which I read about here.

Posted By: Ira L Re: I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/08/16 08:42 PM
If you want a Portrait (vertical) display you must do two things.

First, get a display that you can rotate physically. That is, turn it so it is longer vertically. Depending on the display (and not your Mac's native display) this could present stability issues. Second, follow the directions in this support article. It is quite simple once you overcome the physical component.

The article does note that all Systems may not support rotation.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/10/16 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
If you want a Portrait (vertical) display you must do two things.

First, get a display that you can rotate physically. That is, turn it so it is longer vertically. Depending on the display (and not your Mac's native display) this could present stability issues. Second, follow the directions in this support article. It is quite simple once you overcome the physical component.

The article does note that all Systems may not support rotation.

Now that's physical rotation of the display, and then changing the display settings to turn the entire display 90 degrees. And THAT brings up an interesting question.... I know that os x will do sub-pixel kerning for text with horizontal sub-pixels.... but I wonder if it will do it vertically if the display is rotated 90 degrees? hmmmm...
Posted By: deniro Re: I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/10/16 09:27 PM
I wasn't looking for a vertical display or one that can be rotated. Just one that's like the iMac I'm using now rather than a widescreen monitor.
Posted By: grelber Re: I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/11/16 07:26 AM
From your original post:
"... it makes sense to me to have a tall monitor rather than a wide one. But I don't see any out there. All wide."

Your latest comment doesn't jibe with that. Nor does any iMac have a screen which is taller than it is wide.

Please clarify.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/11/16 12:55 PM
wow there's a beast that will do killer portrait

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/985111-REG/samsung_sc_650_series_21_5.html

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images750x750/1372281693000_IMG_323859.jpg
Posted By: artie505 Re: I don't watch movies on my Mac - 08/11/16 12:57 PM
"No Longer Available"
© FineTunedMac