Home
Posted By: booneavenueboy Configuring a Wireless Printer - 03/04/11 10:08 AM
Hello:
Since our last exchange I went ahead and bought a HP1102w Laserjet monochrome wireless printer. It works OK with the cable but I have been unable to configure the machine to work wirelessly. Although I have followed the installation procedure meticulously, I am stalled at the file HTMLConfig which is EMPTY of content, hence there is no way to enter the network data. In other words, going into Print & Fax (in System Preferences) and clicking all the way to HTMLConfig, opening the latter file reveals Nothing. Tracing the location of this HTMLConfig file produces a Terminal message with several errors.
So the question is how do I restore the functioning of this HTMLConfig file?
I believe that the apparent corruption of this file was probably caused by me because I recall that it worked the very first time I tried to enter data in the wireless network, made a mistake, and when I went back to try again the HTMLConfig file no longer worked. I think that I may have deleted something but am not sure.
Thanks for your kind attention.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Configuring a Wireless Printer - 03/04/11 07:20 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the printer, deleting its associated files, and reinstalling?
Posted By: booneavenueboy Re: Configuring a Wireless Printer - 03/04/11 08:30 PM
Hi,
Yes, I have done that; four times, in fact. Which is why I'm thinking the problem has to be with the OS. After all, the HTMLConfig is part of the Mac OS. I'm using 10.6., by the way. Thanks for replying.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Configuring a Wireless Printer - 03/05/11 01:04 PM
Have you contacted HP? I should think their warranty/support center should be of help. Almost certainly, you are not the first to experience this problem and they may well know the secret to success.
Posted By: booneavenueboy Re: Configuring a Wireless Printer - 03/05/11 03:49 PM
Believe me, I have been in touch with HP and, with a technician via e-mail over a one week period, went through the wireless set-up procedure step-by-step, reaching the HTMLConfig Utility stage. They asked for a screen shot of the empty file which I sent, and they confirmed getting it. I haven't heard from them since.
Can I fix this problem by doing a clean install of the OS10.6 with my CD? Or a partial reinstall?
Posted By: alternaut Re: Configuring a Wireless Printer - 03/05/11 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: booneavenueboy
Can I fix this problem by doing a clean install of the OS10.6 with my CD? Or a partial reinstall?

I'm not sure about that, but it's an easy test (and can't hurt) to run the appropriate MacOS X 6.x Combo updater again.
© FineTunedMac