Home
Posted By: jaybass photo identification - 06/06/20 09:49 PM
OS 10.12.6 I have an account with an agency which I submit photographs and which they mostly accept. They in turn present them on their site for sale.

There is now an app (free) which identifies flower pictures but this app can only be downloaded to an iPhone or iPad. My son has downloaded this app to his iPad and the only way I can transfer my pics from my iMac is by email. He in turn brings his iPad to me and I can then identify them together with their Latin names.

Is there another way I can transfer my pics to his iPad? He lives 50 miles away so
it's rather inconvenient.
Is there another way of transferring my pics to his iPad?

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: photo identification - 06/07/20 11:32 AM
Please clarify.

Is your question about how to transfer your pics to your son's iPad or how to view his iPad results without his driving 50 miles?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: photo identification - 06/07/20 04:41 PM
Since an iCloud account is free and includes a 5GB iCloud Drive, why not create a folder on your iCloud Drive and share it in Read/Write mode with your son? He would also have to have his own iCloud account for this to work. That way either of you could post images and notes to one another no matter where either of you is so long as you have an internet connection.

By-the-way the iCloud folder can be shared only with specific users or with any user that has the URL. The only constraint is they must have an iCloud account.

NOTE: Sharing iCloud files and folders is a relatively new iCloud and iOS feature (iOS/iPadOS 13.4), but it works well.
Posted By: artie505 Re: photo identification - 06/07/20 07:06 PM
Can your son do the matches and send you screenshots?
Posted By: jaybass Re: photo identification - 06/07/20 08:44 PM
Artie, The app is of course on his iPad so I need to transfer my photos in order to identify them.

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: photo identification - 06/07/20 08:57 PM
Joe,

That sounds good. We have never used iCloud but I'm sure my son will set it up.

Thanks for your response.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: photo identification - 06/07/20 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
Artie, The app is of course on his iPad so I need to transfer my photos in order to identify them.

jaybass

I understand that. I don't understand why email is insufficient for the transfer.

It sounded to me like your issue is really seeing what happens on your son's iPad once he gets your pics, and joemike's solution may resolve that.
Posted By: jaybass Re: photo identification - 06/08/20 02:08 AM
Artie,

I never suggested that sending pics by email is insufficient. It's because of it's limitations. Obviously you can only send a few at a time...I have over fifty pics to transfer with more on the way. Hope that clarifies my post.

jaybass
Posted By: artie505 Re: photo identification - 06/08/20 03:04 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
Artie,

I never suggested that sending pics by email is insufficient. It's because of it's limitations. Obviously you can only send a few at a time...I have over fifty pics to transfer with more on the way. Hope that clarifies my post.

jaybass

So email is, indeed, insufficient, and that's the missing piece.

Thanks for the clarification.

If you can't resolve your problem with iCloud, you may be interested in Filemail. (One of the MU reviews says that it can be used only seven days a month, but I haven't been able confirm it.)
Posted By: freelance Re: photo identification - 06/08/20 08:31 AM
Or Dropbox. You can get a free 2Gb account. Works well for me.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: photo identification - 06/03/22 10:25 PM
Back to the subject of flower identification this OSX Daily discusses how to do it using Siri on the iPhone with no help from an app. WHO KNEW?
© FineTunedMac