Home
Posted By: freelance Photoshop crashing - 03/03/20 11:23 AM
I've been using Photoshop CS5 on my iMac/Mojave without issue for the past four months. Today, I opened a psd file, made a correction, flattened it and saved as a pdf. No problem.

Then I opened a new file, clicked on the window and Photoshop crashed. I can open the app, I can open a file, I can click on various tools, but as soon as I click on any part of an open file, the app crashes.

I've tried booting from my backup drive, I've tried dumping the preferences file, I've flushed the font cache... I don't know what to do.

CS5 launches and functions fine on my MacBook Air/Mojave. I made no alterations to my system from the time it was working to when it stopped working. Don't know what to do?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jerry
Posted By: freelance Re: Photoshop crashing - 03/03/20 06:25 PM
Don't know if this helps at all?

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000038
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [697]
Posted By: freelance Re: Photoshop crashing - 03/04/20 10:00 PM
Well, I solved my problem: I bought Affinity Photo. They do a ten day trial, but it took about three hours to decide to buy a lifetime license for $48.

I lot of the features are very like Photoshop, but the sale was made when Affinity Photo opened an old, multi-layered photoshop psd file with varied text and distortions like it was a native file.

I still find Bridge useful and that works fine.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Photoshop crashing - 03/04/20 11:33 PM
If and when you try printing from Affinity Photo, please post back with your reaction. I stick with Photoshop because I opt to let it manage colors and that, combined with my i1Profiler calibration software, gives me very accurate colors.
Posted By: freelance Re: Photoshop crashing - 03/05/20 08:43 AM
My printing requirements are not super sophisticated these days. When my Canon A3+ printer packed up in November, I replaced it with a A4 Canon printer/scanner and that's mainly used with plain copy paper.

So, I can tell you that the print dialogue from Affinity Photo is not as elaborate as Photoshop's, but I got a plain paper printout that looked just like the screen and a glossy photo print that was a bit too contrasty on my first efforts.

The online tutorials for AF are very thorough and I can't believe Photoshop can do anything that AF can't, it's just the learning curve that daunts me, and that's why I resisted trying AF until I absolutely had to. It looks very like Photoshop, but all the pallets and locations are just a little bit different. The keystrokes are similar and I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly.

However, I don't need it for much more than color correction and perspective distortions these days. Well, except for my Christmas card...

If I could have kept CS5 running, I would have, but I'm not paying a subscription for any software. £240/year for Photoshop? Nah.
Posted By: freelance Re: Photoshop crashing - 03/08/20 05:19 PM
I don't know why Photoshop is crashing on my iMac, both the start up drive and the backup drive. However it does work on my MacBook Air (latest Mojave) and my Mac Pro (High Sierra).

Trouble is, the MacBook Air version is 12.0.0 installed from the original dvd. I have tried the back dating trick to get the official updater to work, but no luck.

Today, I simply copied all the PS folders I could find from my Mac Pro to my MacBook Air. It worked. Thing is, Photoshop won't open a native Affinity Photo file (.afphoto) which seems to be the equivalent of .psd

Affinity Photo will open a .psd file. I am liking AP. Also, I can replace Bridge with Graphic Converter, which offers a slide show and good browser. I'm almost ready to upgrade to Catalina, I think...
Posted By: freelance Re: Photoshop crashing - 04/03/20 06:59 AM
I didn't feel the need to start a new thread, but just thought I'd mention that this morning I saw that Affinity Photo is on sale for half price on their website.

I'm quite happy with the application after using it for the past month.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Photoshop crashing - 04/03/20 06:22 PM
Affinity's offer also includes a 90 day trial period.
© FineTunedMac