Home
Posted By: jaybass copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/21/18 03:35 PM
OS 10.12.6

My TV will accept a USB drive. Is there a way of copying a program that is playing?

I also have a DVD player hooked up to the TV which also takes USB drives. Is there a

way of copying an ongoing program with that player? I want to copy tomorrow's British open so if anyone has the answer, please respond today. Thank you.

jaybass
Posted By: Urquhart Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/21/18 04:00 PM
USB ports on TV and DVD player are for input, not output.
Posted By: jaybass Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/21/18 06:23 PM
You are so right. My son has just informed me of the PVR option I have on my remote.
Obviously something I've never used. He has set it up for tomorrow's game.

jaybass
Posted By: grelber Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/22/18 08:27 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
You are so right. My son has just informed me of the PVR option I have on my remote. Obviously something I've never used.

A PVR option can be operated via a remote but it means that your TV set-up has a built-in or add-on PVR. What might it be?
If you're in Hogtown, how are you getting your TV signals? Via cable or satellite? Or OTA (over the air)? A lotta folk in the GTA have forsaken the former in favor of OTA because you have access to a wide range of channels including those from across the lake, not to mention that it's cost-free.
Posted By: Ira L Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/23/18 03:09 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
You are so right. My son has just informed me of the PVR option I have on my remote.
Obviously something I've never used. He has set it up for tomorrow's game.

jaybass

I have to ask, is "PVR" the Canadian term for "DVR" (digital video recorder)?
Posted By: grelber Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/23/18 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
... is "PVR" the Canadian term for "DVR" (digital video recorder)?

PVR = personal video recorder, and the terms are interchangeable north of the 49th.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/23/18 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Urquhart
USB ports on TV and DVD player are for input, not output.

And I have found that both blurry and tv USB ports are sometimes used for firmware updates.
Posted By: jaybass Re: copying tv program to a USB thumb drive - 07/31/18 04:22 PM
Sorry for the late response. I am on bell's cable and I do get quite alot of channels but alas they are not free. Yes, the pvr is built in and it's free providing you copy something that is actually being played.

jaybass
© FineTunedMac