Home
Posted By: Ira L iPod to Amplifier - 09/19/16 04:17 PM
I am sure there are lots of audiophiles out there, but let's keep it simple (and not too expensive).

I want to be able to play from an iPod (either 30 pin or Lightening connector) to an amplifier. The amplifier should then operate normally as with any input source. The amplifier has all sorts of inputs but does not have HDMI or USB (of any kind) or WiFi capability. I also do not want to stream via Bluetooth if possible.

I have seen DAC's but they all seem to have USB and assume they will plug into a computer. Yes, there are adaptors, but what is the "right" out cable? Does it even exist?

So what do you suggest, folks? crazy
Posted By: freelance Re: iPod to Amplifier - 09/19/16 10:49 PM
Buy a stereo aux-in 3.5mm to 2 x RCA Phono cable. Plug the mini-plug into the headphone jack on your iPod and connect to the RCA inputs on your amp. Just like plugging in a CD player. I presume a standard hi-fi amplifier?
Posted By: ryck Re: iPod to Amplifier - 09/20/16 07:32 AM
That's what I'd do.
Posted By: Ira L Re: iPod to Amplifier - 09/20/16 05:05 PM
Getting back on topic, that is a simple and inexpensive solution. I probably even have one of those cables already.

Thanks one and all! cool
Posted By: cyn Re: iPod to Amplifier - 09/22/16 08:46 AM
I moved a branch of posts to a separate thread: Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter, Siri
Posted By: artie505 Re: iPod to Amplifier - 09/22/16 08:49 AM
Thanks, cyn.
Posted By: deniro Re: iPod to Amplifier - 01/08/17 04:21 PM
If you call Crutchfield, they can tell you what you need. That's what I did.

My ipod didn't provide enough power to run my integrated amp when I plugged directly into it. I had to turn the volume way up to hear anything.

I bought a TEAC HP P50 DAC (also called a headphone amp) from Crutchfield for more power and better sound. You can buy cheaper ones, like the Audioquest Dragonfly. It depends on how much you want to spend and what company you want to buy from. A better DAC has better audio and options. My TEAC came with USB and optical jacks and a hi-def audio software.

Most DACS are portable enough that you can take it wherever you take your ipod. Mine is about the size of the recent WD SSD blue hard drives, though thicker. You can plug it into a laptop or desktop, Mac or PC, and bypass the computer and ipod's audio. The DAC will sound better. The headphones plug into one end of the DAC and the ipod plugs into the other.

I connect my ipod to my integrated amp via a USB cable, with the wide end of cable going into the bottom of the ipod and other end of the cable going into the USB jack of the DAC. Then I connect a cable into the ipod's headphone jack. The other end of that cable splits into a dual for two RCA jacks in the amp.

It's a somewhat clunky solution, but the audio is fine. The next amp I buy will probably have its own USB jack and built in DAC, because most new ones do, meaning I can plug my ipod directly into the amp whenever I want, and I can leave the DAC plugged into my iMac or laptop without having to shuffle it back and forth between my computers and my stereo system.
© FineTunedMac