Home
Posted By: jaybass visual hub with lion update. - 04/25/13 07:43 PM
OS 10.6.8
I put visual hub on a CD complete with the lion update. It works perfectly for me and has since the update surprisingly became available.
When I dragged a movie into VH (my friends computer) and tried to convert it, a window appears saying
"Can't get text item #1 of "". (-1728) and I have no idea why. He has an imac same model as mine using OS10.6.8 Does anyone have a solution? BTW, this lion update is compatible with snow leopard. jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: visual hub with lion update. - 04/29/13 03:08 PM
Since no one else has chimed in, while I can't say specifically, I do have a thought.

Movie conversion software often depends on other programs. For example, maybe you have VLC or a different version of QuickTime installed than your friend. Visual Hub might depend on some codec or component found somewhere else that your friend does not have. I know this is the case with Handbrake (video conversion software), that required something from VLC. When VLC changed, it temporarily broke Handbrake.

Like I said, just a thought.
Posted By: jaybass Re: visual hub with lion update. - 04/30/13 01:39 PM
Thanks Ira, I will check out your thinking and let you know
jaybass
Posted By: tacit Re: visual hub with lion update. - 04/30/13 05:53 PM
You say you "put visual hub on a CD". Can you explain what you mean by that? Did you put the installer on a CD, or did you just copy "Visual Hub" from your Applications folder onto a CD?

You have to install Visual Hub using its installer; you can't just copy the application. It relies on other things that get installed by the installer (namely, ffmpeg and other components).

If you want to run Visual Hub on Lion, you have to first install it with the installer, then update the ffmpeg tools from here:

http://www.techspansion.com/

The version that installs with Visual Hub won't work in Lion.

Also, ffmpeg is no longer being supported, so it likely will not work with new operating systems as Apple releases them. You can read more here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~robert.leatherwood/faq.html
Posted By: jaybass Re: visual hub with lion update. - 05/01/13 02:42 PM
Originally I paid twenty something dollars for VH. I emailed it to my son (dragged it out of apps) before this lion update and it works for him. Sometime back this update appeared when I opened VH so I updated to 1.34.1 which works for me.
I emailed this update (the icon) to my friend and it would not work. I then dragged the icon into toast and burnt it to a CD. This still doesn't work. After reading your response, I downloaded the installer (1.3.1) and have emailed only the installer telling him to dump everything into the trash relating to VH before installing. I have yet to hear from him but I will post his reply. I will advise him to forget the update if this installer works. Perhaps you can tell me what the advantages are with the lion update? You say that "The version that installs with VH won't work in Lion"
I see to remember reading that this Lion update might not work with Snow Leopard but it does! Thanks for your reply. jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: visual hub with lion update. - 05/09/13 07:46 PM
Had quite a problem getting VH to work. VH would appeared with 2 options...trial period or register. Finally I gave my friend the serial # and it works perfectly. I guess I must have done the same for my son. I'm wondering why the 2 options appeared since techspansion has been gone for about 3 years now. However, alls well that ends well. Thanks for your reply.
jaybass
© FineTunedMac