Home
Posted By: plantsower Recording my Voice - 11/22/10 05:04 PM
Is it possible to record my voice on my IBook to announce the time? I think it works for other commands but couldn't find that one. Thanks.

Rita
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: Recording my Voice - 11/25/10 09:39 AM

Quote:
I think it works for other commands but couldn't find that one.

It's not clear what you're referring to here. What works for other commands?

You can have the time announced in one of the computer-generated voices supplied with OS X by going to System Preferences -> Date & Time -> Clock, checking the Announce the time checkbox, and clicking the Customize Voice... button to change from the currently selected voice to another one. I think you'd need to find a third-party solution to use your own voice, though.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Recording my Voice - 11/25/10 01:05 PM
A cron job combined with some recordings and the free "play" shell extension to play quicktime audio would probably do the trick.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Recording my Voice - 11/25/10 06:14 PM
That's what I meant. My voice instead of the computer generated voice I use now. Thanks DK.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Recording my Voice - 11/25/10 06:15 PM
LOL! You're talking way over my head. I guess it's not that important. I was hoping I could just record my voice on my Mac and use that. Thanks though.

Rita
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Recording my Voice - 11/26/10 02:29 PM
The "voices" used in OS X are not simple voice recordings, instead they are complex data files that tell you Mac the voice pitch, timber, and all the other characteristics of a human voice. Those files cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each to design and create.

V1's suggestion is not too complicated to do and would work for a single point solution such as the time, but it would take a fair amount of time and patience on your part to accomplish. If you want to do it badly enough someone around here could probably come up with a set of instructions for you to follow.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Recording my Voice - 11/26/10 04:28 PM
Hi: Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the files.

I know that the people here would more than likely walk me through the process, but I've decided since it is such a process, it's not that important. It was just a whim on my part.

Thanks again.

Rita
© FineTunedMac