Home
Posted By: plantsower Calendar Alert Events - 02/20/23 07:47 PM
I have calendar alerts that I use all the time. But for some reason when they pop up to remind me of something there is a long list of the same item. The example shows 3 repeat items to check my car fluids, but some of them show 10 or 20. Is there a way to prevent this? It seems to silly. Calendar Events
Posted By: Gregg Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/21/23 04:33 PM
It looks like three alerts are set for that one. Can you change two to “None”?
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/21/23 05:43 PM
I just want it to alert me once every so often, in this case once a month, but I don't need a long list of the same alert. If I put "none" I wouldn't get an alert.

Originally Posted by Gregg
It looks like three alerts are set for that one. Can you change two to “None”?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/21/23 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by plantsower
I just want it to alert me once every so often, in this case once a month, but I don't need a long list of the same alert. If I put "none" I wouldn't get an alert.

I have seen something similar in the past, but i never found out how it got started, but after diligently deleting the extra alerts for a while, they quit appearing when creating a new event. confused
If I am understanding correctly, you want to create an event that repeats every month. Using Calendar Events...
  1. Click on the Plus sign (+) near the top left of the Calendar Window This appears Fill in the name, date of the first event, and time if desired.
  2. Click on Add, alert, Repeat, or Travel Time
  3. click on Repeat
  4. Select Every Month on the popup menu
  5. click on Alert
  6. Select At time of event
  7. If for any reason when you create the event there are multiple Alerts listed, simply select none for each of the others and they will automatically be deleted when you save the event and will not appear if you look at the event on future dates.
  8. Press Return

Be sure that in System Settings > Notifications > Calendar you have chosen Alerts and each month at the appointed time on the appointed date the alert will appear at the top right corner of your screen and remain there until you dismiss it.

NOTE: One of the reasons I switched from Calendar to [ul=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-calendar/id975937182?mt=12]Fantastical[/url] is because Fantastical has its own internal Reminder system that appears as checklist items on the calendar date.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/21/23 10:43 PM
[*]Click on the Plus sign (+) near the top left of the Calendar Window This appears That didn't actually appear when I clicked on the + sign. This is what showed up. That's fine. I double clicked on the date to start the alerts like I usually do.
Posted By: Gregg Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/22/23 01:54 PM
I'll try again.

Your screen shot seems to list three alerts.

Can you change two of them to "None" leaving only one alert set?

I did not suggest that you change all Alerts to "None".
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/22/23 07:58 PM
Yes, that one only had 3 alerts. Others have many, many alerts. I have been doing the "none" thing now and will see how it works. I also have several alerts that are not showing up at all. Calendar seems to be wonky at times.

Originally Posted by Gregg
I'll try again.

Your screen shot seems to list three alerts.

Can you change two of them to "None" leaving only one alert set?

I did not suggest that you change all Alerts to "None".
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/22/23 08:18 PM
Joe: I downloaded Fantastical and it asked for access to my calendar. I gave access because I thought it would automatically take all my alerts from my calendar and add them to their calendar. That didn't happen. Why do they need access? Now I have to add everything in again.

Originally Posted by joemikeb

I have seen something similar in the past, but i never found out how it got started, but after diligently deleting the extra alerts for a while, they quit appearing when creating a new event. confused
If I am understanding correctly, you want to create an event that repeats every month. Using Calendar Events...
  1. Click on the Plus sign (+) near the top left of the Calendar Window This appears Fill in the name, date of the first event, and time if desired.
  2. Click on Add, alert, Repeat, or Travel Time
  3. click on Repeat
  4. Select Every Month on the popup menu
  5. click on Alert
  6. Select At time of event
  7. If for any reason when you create the event there are multiple Alerts listed, simply select none for each of the others and they will automatically be deleted when you save the event and will not appear if you look at the event on future dates.
  8. Press Return

Be sure that in System Settings > Notifications > Calendar you have chosen Alerts and each month at the appointed time on the appointed date the alert will appear at the top right corner of your screen and remain there until you dismiss it.

NOTE: One of the reasons I switched from Calendar to [ul=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-calendar/id975937182?mt=12]Fantastical[/url] is because Fantastical has its own internal Reminder system that appears as checklist items on the calendar date.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/24/23 12:11 AM
Joe: I downloaded Fantastical and it asked for access to my calendar. I gave access because I thought it would automatically take all my alerts from my calendar and add them to their calendar. That didn't happen. Why do they need access? Now I have to add everything in again.

I converted to Fantastical about a year ago and to the best of my recollection, all of the appointments events etc. transferred automatically.

VOILÀ! I just found the answer, but you may not like it. The Calendar app and Fantastical can [i]subscribe[/] to almost any calendar shared calendar such as Google, Microsoft, and tens, if not hundreds of thousands, work and business team specific calendars. This includes your nemesis iCloud. I don't recall having ever specifically subscribed to an iCloud calendar (that would have occured decades ago,or in Fantastical, but when I looked in Calendar > Settings > and Fantastical > Settings > Accounts, both are subscribed to the same iCloud calendar set.

THE GOOD NEWS Subscribing to the iCloud allows fantastical on your desktop and iPhone to remain tightly synched with your laptop or you can directly link you local copy as well
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/24/23 03:23 AM
OK, thanks for the heads up. It also looks free on the App store but it's not. Only a trial run. I wish I had known the ahead of time.

I converted to Fantastical about a year ago and to the best of my recollection, all of the appointments events etc. transferred automatically.

VOILÀ! I just found the answer, but you may not like it. The Calendar app and Fantastical can [i]subscribe[/] to almost any calendar shared calendar such as Google, Microsoft, and tens, if not hundreds of thousands, work and business team specific calendars. This includes your nemesis iCloud. I don't recall having ever specifically subscribed to an iCloud calendar (that would have occured decades ago,or in Fantastical, but when I looked in Calendar > Settings > and Fantastical > Settings > Accounts, both are subscribed to the same iCloud calendar set.

THE GOOD NEWS Subscribing to the iCloud allows fantastical on your desktop and iPhone to remain tightly synched with your laptop or you can directly link you local copy as well
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/24/23 11:24 PM
My calendar has decided to work now. I have decided to get rid of Fantastical because it's not really free and they don't answer my questions. Anyway, I tried using FindAnyFiles and got this message. Would it be dangerous to say "YES" to delete? I don't know what root files are or if it's dangerous to get rid of something in a root file.

Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 04:36 AM
My calendar has decided to work now. I have decided to get rid of Fantastical because it's not really free and they don't answer my questions. Anyway, I tried using FindAnyFiles and got this message. Would it be dangerous to say "YES" to delete? I don't know what root files are or if it's dangerous to get rid of something in a root file.
Anything Find Any File found in a search for Fantastical can be trashed with no problem.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 04:37 AM
Even though the warning? It kinda scared me.

Originally Posted by artie505
Anything Find Any File found in a search for Fantastical can be trashed with no problem.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 04:41 AM
Apps place files all over the place, some of which require root access to trash, but since you're trashing the entire app, not just experimenting, there'll be no problems.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 04:44 AM
OK. I just thought some of them embedded themselves into other things not associated with the app but could take them down and out if I removed it. Thanks.

Apps place files all over the place, some of which require root access to trash, but since you're trashing the entire app, not just experimenting, there'll be no problems.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 04:51 AM
OK. I just thought some of them embedded themselves into other things not associated with the app but could take them down and out if I removed it. Thanks.
To put your mind at ease, do another Find Any File search for Fantastical, but this time, hit "option" before you hit "Find," and it will change to "Find All," which will show your recalcitrant items in your results. Then post a screenshot of those results.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 04:57 AM
I didn't see any "option" any place. I picked "all disks." Before it found 120 items. After ditching some into the trash and redoing it just now, it found 142 items. Leave it to me to have something become so complicated.

To put your mind at ease, do another Find Any File search for Fantastical, but this time, hit "option" before you hit "Find," and it will change to "Find All," which will show your recalcitrant items in your results. Then post a screenshot of those results.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 05:02 AM
Find Any File Maybe you have the paid version?

I didn't see any "option" any place. I picked "all disks." Before it found 120 items. After ditching some into the trash and redoing it just now, it found 142 items. Leave it to me to have something become so complicated.

[quote=plantsower]OK. I just thought some of them embedded themselves into other things not associated with the app but could take them down and out if I removed it. Thanks.
[/quote
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 05:13 AM
As far as I can see, there's no free version of FAF. The only version is $6 shareware.

"option" means the option key.

Find Any File > on startup volume > Fantastical > hit option key > Find All, and before you post your results, click on the middle icon in "Package Contents" in your results pane to compress any packages.

Selecting "all disks" shows the files on your clone as well as those on your internal drive, but they'll disappear from your next clone after you complete the FAF operation. (The 142 items should be the original 120 on your clone plus 22 on your internal that the pop-up is questioning.)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 05:24 AM
The Pkg Contents had a line through it so nothing happened when I clicked on it. I tried to take a screen shot of the whole window with Control-shift-5 but it still only took a screen shot of what was shown on the desktop.

As far as I can see, there's no free version of FAF. The only version is $6 shareware.

"option" means the option key.

Find Any File > on startup volume > Fantastical > hit option key > Find All, and before you post your results, click on the middle icon in "Package Contents" in your results pane to compress any packages.

Selecting "all disks" will show files on your clone as well as those on your internal drive, but they'll disappear from your next clone after you complete the FAF operation. (The 142 items should be the original 120 on your clone plus 22 on your internal that the pop-up is questioning.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 05:35 AM
The Pkg Contents had a line through it so nothing happened when I clicked on it. I tried to take a screen shot of the whole window with Control-shift-5 but it still only took a screen shot of what was shown on the desktop.
The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.)

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 05:51 AM
Looks like I forgot to include the screen shot! LOL! I tried to take a screen shot of the bottom half but Imgur said it couldn't take that kind of file. What? I just learned about the Control-Shift-5 function. It worked great on another page I needed and showed the whole thing even though it wasn't showing on the computer completely. But just now it didn't work. Find Any File Hope this is good enough. I'm getting sleepy.

The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.)

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 05:58 PM
The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.) Yes, 3 were filtered out. And these are the ones I can't remove for some reason.

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen. [/quote]
Posted By: Ira L Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 06:07 PM

I believe it should be Command-Shift-5, not Control-Shift-5. The latter does nothing (at least for me), while the former produces a small palette at the bottom of the screen that lets you choose what you want to take a screenshot of. Hover over each icon on the palette to see what it does.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 06:23 PM

You're right. I misspoke. Although when I did that on the window showing the Fantastical items still in my mac that I can't get rid of, it didn't work. I've used it with my word processor and it worked fine.

believe it should be Command-Shift-5, not Control-Shift-5. The latter does nothing (at least for me), while the former produces a small palette at the bottom of the screen that lets you choose what you want to take a screenshot of. Hover over each icon on the palette to see what it does. [/quote]
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 09:07 PM
The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.) I thought I answered this but can't find it. When I clicked on the middle package it removed three items. I still need a way to remove all those items that will not come out of my Mac from Fantastical.

I've never heard of a control-shift-5 screenshot. I use command-shift-4 to take partial screenshots, and take multiples if the pane extends below the bottom of my screen. [/quote]
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/25/23 09:22 PM
The line is a visual indicator to tell you that clicking on the icon will hide any package contents, i.e., compress the packages so they'll show, but not their contents. When you clicked on it, did the number of found files at the bottom of your screen change? (Just curiosity...not important.) I thought I answered this but can't find it. When I clicked on the middle package it removed three items. I still need a way to remove all those items that will not come out of my Mac from Fantastical.

Addendum: Duh, they were mostly in the trash but still showing in the window! After I emptied the trash, there were about 3 left in the Startup Disk, and I was able to delete them. So, just go with Startup Disk usually? Thanks.

[/quote]
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/26/23 01:47 PM
Addendum: Duh, they were mostly in the trash but still showing in the window! After I emptied the trash, there were about 3 left in the Startup Disk, and I was able to delete them. So, just go with Startup Disk usually? Thanks.
I was about to post that at least some of your recalcitrant items are in the trash when I saw that. They were still showing in the window, but had you looked at the path bar at the bottom of that window you'd have seen "Trash."

Yeah, go with startup disk as a rule.

By the way, I suggest that you change your FAF > View settings to these, which, as you can see, will make your results easier to digest, as well as make them less likely to exceed your screen size.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/26/23 06:33 PM
This is all I see in the FindAnyFiles view. List is grayed out so I couldn't get any further. What am I missing?

By the way, I suggest that you change your FAF > View settings to these, which, as you can see, will make your results easier to digest, as well as make them less likely to exceed your screen size. [/quote]
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/26/23 07:08 PM
This is all I see in the FindAnyFiles view. List is grayed out so I couldn't get any further. What am I missing?

By the way, I suggest that you change your FAF > View settings to these, which, as you can see, will make your results easier to digest, as well as make them less likely to exceed your screen size.
That confounded me (too) last night until I figured out that the relevant options are greyed out until you're showing a search results window, at which point they become functional. (I ought to file a bug report.)
Posted By: plantsower Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/26/23 08:34 PM
I did a search but still the show located files and highlight found names doesn't show. Was that supposed to be under View, too? Once I clicked all the things you suggested, will it stay that way until next time or do I have to do it all over again each time? FindAnyFiles View

I didn't show here what it said after columns because it worked out like your snapshot.

That confounded me (too) last night until I figured out that the relevant options are greyed out until you're showing a search results window, at which point they become functional. (I ought to file a bug report.) [/quote]
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/27/23 01:22 PM
That confounded me (too) last night until I figured out that the relevant options are greyed out until you're showing a search results window, at which point they become functional. (I ought to file a bug report.)
I got an almost immediate response to my "bug or by design" question from FAF's dev:

Originally Posted by Thomas Tempelmann
Good question.

They're behaving this way out of convenience on my part. That is: They're contextually handled - and as long as there's no window open, the code that handles that window is also not available to receive these menu commands, just like the "Result" menu commands only are available once you have selected a found item.

However, I now realize that this setting is more like a preference and less like a command, ie. I should treat them as preferences just like I treat the "Show ..." menu items at the bottom of the menu, which as also always available

I'll make a note of it and improve that eventually.

Thanks for making me aware of this.

Thomas

I love when devs give me explicit answers!
Posted By: artie505 Re: Calendar Alert Events - 02/27/23 01:33 PM
I did a search but still the show located files and highlight found names doesn't show. Was that supposed to be under View, too? Once I clicked all the things you suggested, will it stay that way until next time or do I have to do it all over again each time? FindAnyFiles View
The prefs you set will remain in place until you decide change them.

I don't know about the missing items. Which version of FAF are you running?
© FineTunedMac