Home
Posted By: plantsower Portable Music Player - 07/14/22 04:13 PM
I just got a new battery for my iPhone 7 because mine was almost dead. I was told not o leave it plugged in all night because the would shorten the battery life. I was also told to let it get down to 10% charge before I charge it back up.

I always keep it plugged in because I listen to stuff on it while I'm trying to get to sleep. I didn't plug it in, and it still had some battery life left so hurray.

Now I want to be able to play music all day but not on my iPhone because my battery charge will keep going down. So, I am looking for a music player of sorts like an mp3 player that has wi-fi capability and the ability to download music apps. When looking at them online one specifically said no downloading of apps available even though it had wifi. The others didn't mention it either way. I want to be able to download my favorite music app (Jango).

Anyone know of an mp3 player $100 or less that has this capability?

Thanks.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Portable Music Player - 07/14/22 08:57 PM
I don't know of an alternative player, much less one that would not have battery issues similar to your iPhone.

However, the advice you received about your iPhone battery is badly outdated and likely a part of the problem.

In iOS 13 and later, Apple added optimized charging that manages the charging process to extend battery life, when I set my iPhone on the Qi pad at night it notifies me that "Optimum charging" is in effect and what time the phone will reach full charge. My three-year-old iPhone is on charge all night roughly 365 nights a year and is rarely discharged below 50%. According to Settings > Battery > Battery Health in iOS 16 beta, the battery still has 100% of the capacity it had when new, and a calibrated Battery+ app appears to confirm that estimate as well. I prefer Qi or Mag chargers to plugging, not only for the convenience, but because they charge a bit more slowly and the battery never overheats. Although Apple approves plugging in to higher capacity chargers for faster charging, I avoid them if possible because of heating -- but that is my prejudice and not confirmed elsewhere. I have always made it a practice to periodically audit battery usage and adjust iOS and app settings to minimize unnecessary battery drain. This PC Mag article and this iMobie article have numerous good tips on battery management.

If your iPhone battery is showing signs of degrading, you might be better served by spending $60 on a new iPhone battery and changing your battery management practices.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Portable Music Player - 07/14/22 10:22 PM
]
Originally Posted by joemikeb
I don't know of an alternative player, much less one that would not have battery issues similar to your iPhone. I realize an alternative player could have battery issues but the players I've been looking at cost less than the replacement battery I got for my iPhone 7 ($79.00 plus tax)!

However, the advice you received about your iPhone battery is badly outdated and likely a part of the problem. Good to hear.

In iOS 13 and later, Apple added optimized charging that manages the charging process to extend battery life, when I set my iPhone on the Qi pad at night it notifies me that "Optimum charging" is in effect and what time the phone will reach full charge. My three-year-old iPhone is on charge all night roughly 365 nights a year and is rarely discharged below 50%. I forgot about Qi or Mag chargers because when I looked into them I had a 5s and they couldn't accommodate it. Now I am interested. I've seen them for $20.00 or less, so I will start with that. According to Settings > Battery > Battery Health in iOS 16 beta, the battery still has 100% of the capacity it had when new, and a calibrated Battery+ app appears to confirm that estimate as well. According to what I've read version 15.5 cause battery drain and not just temporarily so I've opted not to upgrade at this point in time. I prefer Qi or Mag chargers to plugging, not only for the convenience, but because they charge a bit more slowly and the battery never overheats. Although Apple approves plugging in to higher capacity chargers for faster charging, I avoid them if possible because of heating -- but that is my prejudice and not confirmed elsewhere. I have always made it a practice to periodically audit battery usage and adjust iOS and app settings to minimize unnecessary battery drain. This PC Mag article and this iMobie article have numerous good tips on battery management. I will read the articles. Thanks.

If your iPhone battery is showing signs of degrading, you might be better served by spending $60 on a new iPhone battery and changing your battery management practices.
Joe, Joe, Joe, my first sentence started with "I got a new battery for my phone"! LOL!
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Portable Music Player - 07/15/22 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by plantsower
If your iPhone battery is showing signs of degrading, you might be better served by spending $60 on a new iPhone battery and changing your battery management practices. Joe, Joe, Joe, my first sentence started with "I got a new battery for my phone"! LOL!

blush Oops! When I get on a roll, I sometimes forget where I started or where I was going.

By-the-way, because of my penchant for running beta releases, my experience may not be typical, but I never encountered any battery issues in iOS 15 other than some initial extra drain early on. I have never had reason to pay close attention to battery usage, but by iOS 15.6 beta 5 I would have sworn battery consumption was noticeably reduced. I am now running iOS 16 so I can no longer verify any of that.
Posted By: plantsower Re: Portable Music Player - 07/15/22 02:22 AM
Regarding charging my phone, since I play music almost all day, do you see a problem with me leaving it plugged in then too, and not just at night?

By-the-way, because of my penchant for running beta releases, my experience may not be typical, but I never encountered any battery issues in iOS 15 other than some initial extra drain early on. I have never had reason to pay close attention to battery usage, but by iOS 15.6 beta 5 I would have sworn battery consumption was noticeably reduced. I am now running iOS 16 so I can no longer verify any of that. [/quote]
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Portable Music Player - 07/15/22 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by plantsower
Regarding charging my phone, since I play music almost all day, do you see a problem with me leaving it plugged in then too, and not just at night?

If you leave your iPhone plugged in all day, there shouldn't be any reason to plug it in at night as it should already be fully charged. This Batteries+ screenshot of my iPhone should give you an idea of what kind of battery life to expect playing Music from various sources. I don't see the need to leave your iPhone plugged in just to listen to music. In addition, I have seen MacBook batteries swell and damage the system when left continuously plugged in, and while I have not personally seen that in iPhones, it is the same battery technology, so why take a chance?
© FineTunedMac