IOS15 Initial Impressions - 07/04/21 11:20 PM
- Install was non-eventful but the estimated time remaining and progress bar were wildly misleading and all over the clock.
- Focus arguably the most significant new feature. Essentially Do Not Disturb with options. Allows user to set what is permitted to interrupt during Do Not Disturb, Driving, Sleep, Personsal, and Work (it is also possible to turn some of those on automatically) Interruptions include Time sensitive Notifications, People, and. Specific Apps. And even notify specific contacts when you are in a specific mode. Not exactly earth shattering but, something you will wish others use even if you donâ€™t.
- Translation currently 11 languages available for download including English (UK) and English (US).hopefully that list will be expanded and will include other dialects. For exzmple here in the southwest U.S. Spanish (Mexico) would be far more useful than Spanish (Spain) which is the only dialect offered. I havenâ€™t had an opportunity to test it yet.
- Hide IP Address in both Mail and Safari. This is sort of like a VPN without the VPN server slowdown and end to end encryption. A relatively minor security feature but painless and likely will make marketers lives more difficult and likely will not be approved in authoritarian regimes.
- Safari It may be simply adjusting to the changes, but I find Safari in iOS 15 a mixture of nice changes shared with iPadOS and macOS and irritating gestures to access the address bar and other features. So far I donâ€™t like it. One other thing It desperately needs quick easy, site specific blocker control like Safari on macOS. This is particularly true since Safari extensions are now supported on iOS.
So far iOS 15 is not a knockout, but it is very early days. More to come