Home
Posted By: ryck iPad purchase query-iCloud stuff - 07/24/20 12:47 PM
With a new iPad, I’d be faced with removing the data from my existing iPad and I am concerned that it could, through the iCloud connection, remove it from places where I want to keep it….like my iMac. That is, if iCloud decides all the machines should be the same.

For me, iCloud has not been a big priority. I don’t store data, photos, et cetera and I will have to admit I didn’t paid close attention when setting things up. just want it to keep things like Contacts or Calendars up to date. I also use Mail on my iPad.

The results have been pretty much hit or miss. For example, my Calendars may or may not update on my iPad. So, I figure, if I’m to get a new iPad, I should take the opportunity to get iCloud sorted out, as if starting from scratch. Any thoughts on approach?

These are my iCloud selections now:

iMac

Contacts
Calendars
Reminders
Notes
Find My Mac

iPad

Contacts
Calendars
Notes
Home
iCloud Drive

iPhone 6

Mail
Contacts
Calendars
Reminders
Notes
Safari
Health
Siri
Keychain
Find My Phone
Posted By: Ira L Re: iPad purchase query-iCloud stuff - 07/24/20 05:19 PM
First for sensible syncing to take place the Apple ID on the devices must be the same. Second, from what you have listed, your example of Calendars should sync properly across all of your iDevices. The list for each device does not have to be the same. And last, if you back up your old iPad to iCloud before setting up the new one, you can tell the new iPad to restore from that backup and it will look and behave very much like the old one.
Posted By: ryck Re: iPad purchase query-iCloud stuff - 07/25/20 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Ira L
And last, if you back up your old iPad to iCloud before setting up the new one, you can tell the new iPad to restore from that backup and it will look and behave very much like the old one.

I was trying to avoid anything that involves backup to iCloud as it would mean buying a bunch of space I'll never need again. Right now all my needs are met within the 5 GB of free space. I choose not to store data, music, pictures et cetera on iCloud.

Would it work if I just take the old iPad 'out of the mix' first? That is, untoggle it totally from iCloud.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: iPad purchase query-iCloud stuff - 07/25/20 02:02 PM
When setting up your new iPad, it is like setting up a new iPhone, you simply place the new one near the old and voilá the entire setup is transferred automagically. Then, and only then, you can remove the old iPad from your Apple ID account, where is my iPhone, etc. The new iPad replaces the old on iCloud. You will find detailed instructions in this Apple support article.
Posted By: Ira L Re: iPad purchase query-iCloud stuff - 07/25/20 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When setting up your new iPad, it is like setting up a new iPhone, you simply place the new one near the old and voilá the entire setup is transferred automagically. Then, and only then, you can remove the old iPad from your Apple ID account, where is my iPhone, etc. The new iPad replaces the old on iCloud. You will find detailed instructions in this Apple support article.

One caveat: the old iPad must be running iOS 11 or later for the "proximity transfer" to work.
Posted By: ryck Re: iPad purchase query-iCloud stuff - 07/25/20 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When setting up your new iPad, it is like setting up a new iPhone, you simply place the new one near the old and voilá the entire setup is transferred automagically.

Oh good!

Originally Posted By: Ira L
One caveat: the old iPad must be running iOS 11 or later for the "proximity transfer" to work.

Oh crap!
© FineTunedMac