Home
Posted By: kevs itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 03:52 PM
I often glance at my laptop, and see itunes homepage. It seems to launch without me wanting it to. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 04:11 PM
Check System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items. You may have specified it to open at login.

EDIT: Also, look at iTunes Preferences > Devices and see if the box at the bottom (Prevent iPods....) is unchecked.
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 04:39 PM
Thanks Jon, just took a peek, not in there. So something else...
Posted By: joemikeb Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: kevs
I often glance at my laptop, and see itunes homepage. It seems to launch without me wanting it to. Any ideas? Thanks.

There are lots of things that will trigger iTunes to launch, clicking on almost any audio file (AIFF, MP3, MP4, etc.) and that can happen in Finder or in an app. When iTunes opens is a particular tune selected? Or playing?
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 05:43 PM
Thanks Joe, I never use itunes on the laptop actually. So it's baffling. When the window comes up it does not show the songlist/ playlist that I see when I launch on desktop. The interface shows the TV show area, but it's blank. I have bought a couple of tv shows in the past, but I have no idea why it's coming up.
Posted By: dkmarsh Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 10:43 PM

Do you plug your iPhone into your laptop to charge it? By default, that will launch iTunes.
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 07/27/16 11:47 PM
DK, no I don't plug the iphone ever into the laptop. The closest if an old ipad, I pad in to a wall charger near the laptop.
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/04/16 12:04 PM
It came up again for first time since my last post. It was after coming back from a day trip, computer was at sleep, and the intues came up after opening laptop; window set to TV, and main window listed recent purchases which were none.

I don't even keep itunes in the dock.

The may be unsolvable but who knows. Thanks!
Posted By: jchuzi Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/04/16 12:55 PM
Do you have Applecare? It might be worthwhile to contact Apple about this.
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/04/16 01:18 PM
Yes, I have it, not going to call about this,so minor, but will add to list if I call one day.
Posted By: artie505 Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/04/16 04:11 PM
It might be worth your while to run the OS X Combo updater of whatever version you're running.

No guarantees, but it's replaced repairing permissions as acceptable voodoo.
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/04/16 06:03 PM
Thanks ARtie, not annoying enough to do a special update..
Posted By: artie505 Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/05/16 06:25 AM
Have you updated to the latest version of iTunes that your Mac can run? (A new version came out just a coupl'a days ago.)

Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/08/16 11:05 PM
Ok, I just noticed that when I plug in my old ipod, that launches itunes. Yet I don't see a preference in itunes to uncheck for that.

itunes 12.4.3.1
Posted By: jchuzi Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/08/16 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: kevs
Ok, I just noticed that when I plug in my old ipod, that launches itunes. Yet I don't see a preference in itunes to uncheck for that.

itunes 12.4.3.1
See my post, #41275, above.
Posted By: kevs Re: itunes launching on laptop, no idea why - 08/09/16 12:04 AM
J it was unchecked, so I just checked it.
I probably did not bother then, because it was launching (and still may), regardless of plugging in an ipod.

But now I checked it today, so who knows, maybe that will solve it. thanks.

© FineTunedMac