Home
Posted By: kevs Got new computer and itunes cannot find music - 05/12/16 06:25 PM
Got the new 27", the migration went great and a week later I try to play my first song in itunes and it says it cannot play because the song cannot be found.

I found the folder eventually, but in My music, the songs are all duplicated, and 1/2 have exclamation points. In my playlist nothing plays. This is all my music BTW, none store bought. Thanks!
This sounds very familiar as I just went through this same routine after defusing my Fusion drive. iTunes is looking for the iTunes Library FILE that has the pointers to the actual tune files and is normally found in ~/Music/iTunes (where ~/ indicates your user home folder). According to your settings when you loaded the tunes the actual tine files may be located in that same ~/Music/iTunes folder or they may be scattered in music files all over your hard drive and even on other attached drives, or even a combination of both. Having everything in a single iTunes folder is preferred and far easier to manage. In fact there is an iTunes preference setting to copy the scattered files into the single folder.

Try this.
  1. In Finder locate you itunes library file (it has the edxtension .itl).
  2. Hold down the Option key and launch iTunes. You will be prompted to
    1. Create a new iTunes Library or
    2. Choose the iTunes Library.
  3. Choose b and then the folder containing the iTunes Library you found.
  4. If your iTunes Library is still messed up you can try creating a NEW iTunes Library and pointing the folder where the bulk of your tunes are located
  5. If you have scattered music files you may have to import them again. You won't need to go back to the original media just use the files that are somewhere on your system.
Is this relevant? Apple confirms reports of iTunes music deletion issue, 'safeguards' coming next week
Thanks Joe/ Jon, did not see this, may have fogotten to check "add this thread".

Anway, I did a call to Apple care and it took and hour but we fixed it along the lines of Joe's outline. thanks!
© FineTunedMac