Home
Posted By: Pendragon Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/29/15 02:54 PM
When I create changes in my iPhone’s Calendar, they appear on my iMac as desired. But that does not work in reverse.

Strangely, though, Calendar changes created on my iMac appear on my wife’s machine; but not my iPhone. And it is that capability (iMac to iPhone & vice-versa) I now seek.

I’m certain, that capability had existed, but now it doesn’t.

Is there a setting or such that needs re-doing?
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/29/15 03:11 PM
push notifications enabled on your iPhone?
Posted By: Ira L Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/29/15 03:52 PM
Make sure that all of the devices that you want to be included in sharing are using the same iCloud ID.

Then on the devices, under Settings/Preferences>iCloud, you will see a list of shareable items; check Calendar if it is not already selected.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/29/15 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
push notifications enabled on your iPhone?

Yes

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Make sure that all of the devices that you want to be included in sharing are using the same iCloud ID.

Then on the devices, under Settings/Preferences>iCloud, you will see a list of shareable items; check Calendar if it is not already selected.

How I do I verify my iCloud ID? I would have thought this is a non issue as my email pushes & shares as desired.
Yes, Calendar is enabled in Settings/Preferences>iCloud/sharable items.

Gads, this is driving me mad...
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/29/15 04:54 PM
When I directly connect my iPhone to my computer via cable, and select my device/Info, the ensuing window says:
“Your calendars are being synced with your phone over the air from iCloud.”

But I find that not the case. Grrrrr!
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/29/15 10:12 PM
This afternoon, I received a call from a colleague with the local MUG. In the course of our conversation I mentioned my syncing problem. His counsel:

In sum, I signed out from my iCloud account, waited 5 minutes, then signed back in and waited about 15 minutes as Apple restored and put things back to right.

So far, all is dandy. But I won't be surprised if a few nits & gotchas remain.

FWIW: my friend finds my problem and Apple's recent spate of server problems not exactly coincidental.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/30/15 12:18 PM
I've ran into several cases of where calendar syncing stopped working, and in every case, the fix was to sign out (removing data) and sign back in.

this appears to be a long-standing problem.
Posted By: Pendragon Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/30/15 01:31 PM
An easy-peasy fix once the secret is known.

As for moi, I never would have divined such. No wonder my mucking about with settings, preferences, and the like were to no avail.

And after a bit of homework, I now have a much greater appreciation for the intricacies of syncing.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Problems Sharing Calendars - 07/30/15 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
An easy-peasy fix once the secret is known.

Coming from a world of palm pilots, where NO backups were possible once computer syncing was broken, this still raises the hair a bit on the back of my neck.

Superintendent: "I need you to fix the calendar, note, and address book sync on my Palm Pilot."

Me: "ok, when did it stop working?"

Superintendent: "It hasn't worked in the last two years"

Me. (shivers) "I assume you've made a lot of changes since then?"

Superintendent: "Yes, I use the calendar for all my appointments, and there's a lot of changes in my address book that aren't on my computer."

OK here's the problem. The palms HAVE an SD card slot, but for some inane reason they don't have the option to back up data to it. All you can use it for is to view (not edit) text files and to store your contact list's pictures on. (which I relied on heavily at the school for my palm pilot) So once syncing stops working on the PP, it's on the device and can't be anywhere else in the world. There's no backing up the data.

AAAAND the problem. "Conduit", PP's sync app, decides all on its own what to do for syncing. There is no way to override it and force it to "wipe the computer and download from the PP". When you connect it, if it decides the data on the PP is out of date, it's completely capable of NUKING the PP (without warning) and importing data from the computer, wiping out anything you had on the PP and not on the computer. The entire sync process is entirely out of your control, you just press the only button and pray it does what you wanted it to do. This creates a serious risk if you haven't been able to sync in months. (or years)

So I warned her what it was capable of doing, and that I had NO way of preventing data loss. Wisely, she baulked at fixing it immediately. She took the time then to write down the most important things before we gave it a go a few weeks later. I did back up the data on her computer though before syncing.

Wise precaution. It NUKED the data on her computer's calendar and contacts, and imported from the PP. God I hate Conduit. But at least I could fix that with the backup I'd made. A bit of a pain to manually merge in the data, but then one more sync and both the computer and the PP had up-to-date information and were syncing properly again.

Two weeks later the PE instructor came to me with essentially the same issue. Over my time there I had to deal with five palms that had been out of sync by months to years. Thanks I think in part to nuking MY PP repeatedly doing tests, I was able to (probably a lot by luck) able to avoid any data loss for the staff's devices. I could NOT get rid of that fast enough when I picked up that used iPhone 3S.

So yeah... I'm still a little twitchy when syncing of calendars and addressbooks goes south.
© FineTunedMac