Home
Posted By: jaybass iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/29/11 02:41 PM
OS 10.5.8
Yesterday I updated my iVolume to 3.6.5 and installed without any problem.
However, it would not open giving the options of ignoring, reporting or relaunching. I ignored it until the 3rd failure, then I reported it to apple.

I contacted (whose name I forget) in Germany but have yet to receive a reply.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm wondering if leopard is incompatible with this update. When I clicked on iVolume, A window opened saying that an update was available. Because of the the reminder, I would think that leopard would be okay otherwise why the prompt?

jaybass

Posted By: dkmarsh Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/29/11 05:28 PM

From the iVolume home page:

Quote:
Current Version: 3.6.5
System Requirements Mac:

Intel Processor
Mac OS X 10.6 or later

Posted By: jaybass Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/29/11 05:42 PM
I received an email just prior to your reply advising me to update to 3.6 which I have done.
Thanks for your reply.

jaybass
Posted By: jaybass Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/29/11 06:05 PM
dk,
I just started iVolume 3.6 and a window popped up saying, Your version is 3.6 the latest version is 3.6.5 followed by "Please note:

Starting with version 3.6.5 iVolume needs a Mac running Mac OSx10.5 or later with Intel processor!"

Seems like contradiction somewhere.
jaybass
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/29/11 10:54 PM
I had a crashes with 3.6.5 when not connected to the Internet. I complained and the dev replied that a "second" version of 3.6.5 has been uploaded... so we should just download 3.6.5 again.

I can confirm that the two 3.6.5 versions are indeed different: 3.6.5 (1984) versus 3.6.5 (1989), but i haven't tested the newer one as yet, to see if the crashing has stopped.
Posted By: jaybass Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/30/11 04:14 PM
Hal,
I have just downloaded 3.6.5 again thinking that perhaps I needed 3.6 first for the update to work. That is not the case. I have reverted to 3.6
I have just emailed Manfred again asking him to clarify.
Even now, when I open 3.6 a window is saying that OS 10.5 with an intel processor is required for the update...which is what I have.
Do you get the same window appear with 3.6? I'm assuming that you do have 3.6
I'll let you know the answer to my email inquiry when it arrives.
jaybass

Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/30/11 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybass
Even now, when I open 3.6 a window is saying that OS 10.5 with an intel processor is required for the update...which is what I have.
Do you get the same window appear with 3.6? I'm assuming that you do have 3.6

No, i am using the "latest" version of 3.6.5 (which bothers me, since i think Manfred should have assigned it a different number, such as 3.6.5rc or 3.6.6 or something). Plus the window we get when selecting "About iVolume..." doesn't even show the build number like most apps do: v3.6.5 (1989). Instead, the user would need to read the Contents/Info.plist file using other means, to discern the build info. Ridiculous.

No, i had no message about 10.5 or Intel requirements. Mine simply crashed while trying to phone home if i was offline at launch-time.

Posted By: jaybass Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/31/11 12:55 AM
Well, I guess I'll have settle for 3.6 which does everything I need.

I should I'll hear something by tomorrow.

jaybass
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: iVolume 3.6.5 - 12/31/11 05:59 PM
BTW jaybass, do you keep an eye on your clock? i mean the CPU load.

i have MenuMeters displaying cpu and disk i/o at all times... and i have observed iVolume sometimes slipping into a state where it suddenly starts consuming massive cycles (like 150% on a dual-CPU device), all while doing absolutely nothing. I.e., just idling.

Have you ever noticed that?

[if you're not monitoring cpu and disk i/o with menumeters, i highly recommend that you (and everyone) do so as a general rule of thumb.]
© FineTunedMac