Home
Posted By: kevs Is there a way to get the sound through stereo? - 02/02/11 05:02 PM
Is there a way to get the laptop sound through a home stereo? Thanks
Yes. Connect the headphones-out jack of the laptop to the Aux-in jack of your amp/receiver. You may need an adapter to go from the laptop's 1/8" headphones-out TRS connector to the RCA connectors on your amp/receiver (Radio Shack, Best Buy etc.), but that's basically it. See this Wikipedia page for the connector types mentioned.

PS, since you can regulate the sound level of your headphones-out jack, you may want to take care not to overload your Aux input. Start with the headphones and amp volume low, and adjust until you have a good volume range from the laptop control without distortion.
thanks A,
anyway to do this wireless?
If your amp/receiver has a wireless input option, then yes. But since I haven't tinkered with this, I cannot provide any details right now. Until someone chimes in with those, you might want to check out these options.
thanks A. I have a 9 year old Onkyo receive, so not sure.
I can tell you sight unseen that your Onkyo doesn't have any wireless capabilities. You'll be looking at audio transmitter/receiver combos to bridge the gap between computer and stereo, and possibly software to go with that. The Google link I listed above will give you an idea of the options and prices involved.
You can do it with an Airport Express and Airport Express Stereo Connection kit. You can even control it from another room using an iPhone or iPad and the Remote app.
kevs,

Take a look at this link to a video tutorial for more information: Streaming music wirelessly with AirPort Express.

Alternatively, you could research Apple TV to see if its additional features beyond streaming music might fit your hardware and viewing/listening preferences.
Thanks Joe, Diane, A, will look at, great info!
Joe, did not work, I bought it and returned it all today. The guys at the apple store said you need to be in itunes. I was just hoping to hear music/ sounds of of any random website through my stereo speakers. No problem, worth a try.
Originally Posted By: kevs
Joe, did not work, I bought it and returned it all today. The guys at the apple store said you need to be in itunes. I was just hoping to hear music/ sounds of of any random website through my stereo speakers. No problem, worth a try.

I think Airfoil - Send audio from any app to AirPort Express/Apple TV and more may be what you're looking for, but you'll need the stuff you returned to turn the trick.
I think you can do it with bluetooth speakers.
thanks, not getting email notification to this thread. How do I know I'm subscribed?
I'm wondering whether you ever saw this:

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: kevs

I think Airfoil - Send audio from any app to AirPort Express/Apple TV and more may be what you're looking for, but you'll need the stuff you returned to turn the trick.

It only costs $25, and it will do precisely what you're looking for, i.e. send music from your browser to your AirPort Express Base Station.
© FineTunedMac