Home
Posted By: Douglas Card Reader Finder Issue - 02/28/10 07:08 AM
I use a USB card reader with the card from my camera. I can't get the card reader to show in the Finder sidebar. I have all the preferences checked in the Finder Preferences. All my other disks and flash disks show in the Finder. The card reader shows up on the Desktop but can't get it show in the Finder sidebar.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 02/28/10 02:46 PM
Just to clarify: When you said Finder Preferences, did you go to the Finder tab in Finder Preferences and check all the boxes? The General tab of Finder Preferences does not affect the sidebar.
Posted By: Douglas Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 02/28/10 03:42 PM
Yes I have all devices checked in the Sidebar tab in Finder Preferences.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 02/28/10 04:02 PM
Did the problem persist after a reboot or a com.apple.finder.plist removal?
Posted By: Douglas Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 03/01/10 01:07 AM
It finally mounted after a reboot but it is as slow as molasses trying to copy pictures to it. It's an SD disk that I'm trying to use in my digital picture frame. I'm using a card reader plugged into USB port on my Mini.

It takes almost 4 minutes to copy a single 644 KB jpg file.

Never had a problem like this before. Could it be the card reader and/or SD disk is bad? The SD disk is 1 GB in size and right now I'm trying to copy 40MB of digital pictures to it and it's going to take 55 minutes.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 03/01/10 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Douglas
Never had a problem like this before. Could it be the card reader and/or SD disk is bad?

You mean: no problems with the same SD card in the same hookup with card reader and Mac?
Of course card and/or reader could be bad*, but the trick is in isolating the culprit. For example, does the problem also occur on another computer, and/or with another card reader (assuming you've got access to one)?

*) If things are working, however slowly, it's not likely a hardware problem, which tends to be an all-or-none phenomenon.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 03/01/10 03:27 AM
the reader could be slow, the card could be slow, the usb port could be slow, or there could be a problem with the cable or with the port. And on some macs one usb port is faster than the other. (not an issue at flash speeds tho)

You're going to have to mix things up a bit and break down where the problem is. Remember that reading is always faster than writing with flash. Find another computer to test with.
Posted By: Douglas Re: Card Reader Finder Issue - 03/01/10 06:09 AM
I've never had any problems with this SD disk or card reader before but that was on my old Mini. This is the first time I've tried to use it with my new Mini 2.53.

I also tried this setup on 4 of the 5 USB ports on my Mini with no change in results. Also tried writing to my flash disk in each of those ports and it only took a couple minutes to copy the 40MB of files to the flash disk.

I've ordered a new card reader and will see if that helps.
© FineTunedMac