Home
Posted By: Virtual1 shutdown sound? - 01/10/10 06:42 AM
I just ran across (actually had to dig up forcibly) a fun shutdown sound I had on my mac a looong time ago. ( I think I got it from Descent ][ )

How are these done now? I don't recall seeing this in a long time and a little casual poking around hasn't gotten me anywhere...
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: shutdown sound? - 01/10/10 07:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I just ran across (actually had to dig up forcibly) a fun shutdown sound I had on my mac a looong time ago. ( I think I got it from Descent ][ )

How are these done now? I don't recall seeing this in a long time and a little casual poking around hasn't gotten me anywhere...

>> How are these done now?

These what?

If you mean configuring a logout hook, i haven't done such things since Jaguar probably. (i think Mike Bombich had a tool called Login Window Manager that i used... but the situation may be different now).

I have seen some posts talking about "/etc/rc.shutdown.local" (it doesn't exist, but i think we can create it). Google on rc.shutdown.local i guess.
Posted By: artie505 Re: shutdown sound? - 01/10/10 08:02 AM
> "i think Mike Bombich had a tool called Login Window Manager"

That's the first thing that came to my mind, but the latest release, v 2.0.1, is dated 5-20-05..."Upgraded for Tiger 10.4.3."
Posted By: dianne Re: shutdown sound? - 01/10/10 10:59 PM
Virtual1,

Is this question in the context of Mac OS X 10.6.x?
Posted By: Hal Itosis Re: shutdown sound? - 01/10/10 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
I have seen some posts talking about "/etc/rc.shutdown.local" (it doesn't exist, but i think we can create it).

Did a quick test last night (10.5.8 here).

Created the file (need sudo) and put this inside:
/usr/bin/say byebye

On shutdown my Mac spoke the words.
Posted By: Virtual1 Re: shutdown sound? - 01/11/10 04:55 AM
Is this question in the context of Mac OS X 10.6.x?

well remember back to the days of OS 9 we had the Startup Items and Shutdown Items folders, and Finder would open anything in them when shutting down or starting up, and you could put a sound file in there to play then. I miss having a shutdown and startup sound. I was wondering if they have such a critter in 10.6 as I've been looking for it ever since 10.2.

I'll have to test the rc thing. I thought rc was abandoned in general as of 10.5? Will use the "play" shell app and see if that works during the shutdown process.
© FineTunedMac