Home
Posted By: jaybass EFIcheck.dump - 04/05/22 03:22 PM
OS 10.1.4.6
A few months ago I was notified of an eficheck.dump problem. I remember that in order to resolve the issue I had to delete (3) plist files in preferences. That problem has just returned and I cannot remember the names of those (3) files.

I went to 'go' and pressed option before clicking library which gave me library >preferences and instructions to type eficheck in the top right hand window which didn't provide an answer.

Does anyone know the names of those (3) files?

jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/05/22 03:56 PM
Doing what you did, type EFIcheck, should produce a list of .plist files associated with the EFIcheck utility. Nothing came up for you? No .plist listing appeared?

It may not necessarily be three items, though. When I do it I only see "SubmitDiagInfo.config". Also, look in your user Library as well as the Macintosh HD Library.
Posted By: jaybass Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/05/22 04:48 PM
No plist listing appeared. If my memory serves me correctly, those (3) plist files to be deleted appeared but I cannot recall how.

I repeated the correct procedure several times but no joy. I looked in those other (2) libraries but nothing.

I will try again. D/W wasn't working at the time, so I contacted aloft and I am wondering if what they told me has anything to do with EFI. read below

There is a problem in the underlying security framework software of the computer.

Follow these steps to disable SIP to see if you can run DiskWarrior as an installed application:

1. Restart your Mac.
2. Before OS X starts up, hold down Command-R and keep it held down until you see an Apple icon and a progress bar. Release. This boots you into Recovery.
3. From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
4. At the prompt type exactly the following and then press Return: csrutil disable
5. Terminal should display a message that SIP was disabled.
6. From the Apple menu, select Restart.

You can later reverse the process by changing the command in Step 5 to: csrutil enable

If the above is successful, then the problem here is that the security information on your computer is damaged. Likely, it was damaged during an update.

You can:

1). Disable SIP

2). Do a clean install of the operating system

3). Start up the computer from the DiskWarrior USB Flash Drive and run DiskWarrior in that manner.

-- Marc

I followed their instructions and D/W is working OK now

jaybass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted By: jaybass Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/05/22 05:31 PM
I found the (3) plist files in my docs. (To be deleted)

com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist

jaybass
Posted By: Ira L Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/06/22 04:43 PM
In your Documents Folder? Strange. How do you know those 3 files are the correct ones to be deleted?
Posted By: jaybass Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/07/22 02:26 PM
I took a screen shot of those 3 files and forgot that I had. The reason I know they are the correct ones is because I had the same problem some time back and they were named after following the instructions (that time it worked!)

If ever I have that problem again, (or anyone else) I know what to do. I assume the files in question will always be the same?

jaybass
Posted By: joemikeb Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/07/22 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by jaybass
If ever I have that problem again, (or anyone else) I know what to do. I assume the files in question will always be the same?
No one, even someone inside of Apple, can guarantee those files will even be present in a future release, but it would be a reasonable place to start if a similar problem crops up again.
Posted By: artie505 Re: EFIcheck.dump - 04/07/22 08:48 PM
At any rate, they're still present in Monterey.
© FineTunedMac