Home
Posted By: jchuzi possible Monterey bug - 10/30/21 11:50 AM
I cannot test this because my iMac will not run Monterey. However, for those who have upgraded or contemplated doing so, this should be of concern: Apple's macOS Monterey causing problems with some USB-C hubs & docks
Posted By: artie505 Re: possible Monterey bug - 10/30/21 12:21 PM
Monterey went through (at least) 10 betas and was finally released just in time to meet Apple's October release schedule.

Call me a cynic, but I've got to wonder if appearances have trumped functionality, i.e. is Monterey reeeally ready for prime time?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: possible Monterey bug - 10/30/21 12:43 PM
At the same time, it is impossible to anticipate all contingencies. That's why I never do a major upgrade until at least two updates have been released.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: possible Monterey bug - 10/30/21 02:01 PM
The number of Monterey betas corresponded 1 for 1 with iOS, iPadOS, WatchOS, and TVOS up until beta 8 and closely followed Apple's planned release schedule. Additionally I remember many previous Mac OS X upgrades that broke cheap third party hubs for various reasons but mainly because they used marginal components. (I had to replace all my Thunderbolt 3 cables with Thunderbolt 4 to get full functionality from all my external devices.) That said, the Monterey release was very stable on my M1 Mac mini and I had no hesitation installing it even on my wife's Mac mini.

NOTE: This morning I installed macOS 12.1 beta 1 on my Mac mini. Universal Control is present but so far I can't get it to run as expected.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: possible Monterey bug - 11/02/21 02:57 PM
Here's another issue: macOS Monterey may be bricking some Macs - but there is a fix
Posted By: joemikeb Re: possible Monterey bug - 11/02/21 03:53 PM
NOTE:
  • The issue is not Monterey per. se. It is a firmware upgrade that is installed along with Monterey and occurs when that upgrade is interrupted.
  • This has been happening off-and-on for years, and is most common with new macOS versions that launch in the fall so the same thing could be said of almost any version of OS X or macOS.
  • the problem with Monterey to date is less prevalent than in previous years versus an equivalent time after release.

So unless you are really searching for a reason not to upgrade the issue is NOT with Monterey itself and no change to Monterey will fix the problem. Personally I cannot envision how any change to the installer is going to guarantee the upgrade process isn't interrupted by accident or user error. Although it might be possible with a new logic board with dual firmware chips with would reduce, but not eliminate, the margin for error.
Posted By: Ira L Re: possible Monterey bug - 11/02/21 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by jchuzi

There is a similar article about upgrading to Big Sur. Apparently the problem can come from too many files (over 20,000) in a "private/var" folder. This article gives some solutions to the problem, depending on whether you are before or after the installation.
Posted By: Ira L Re: possible Monterey bug - 11/02/21 05:02 PM
I just ran the check via Terminal that was presented in the article I referenced above. It does take a while, but if I understand the results I have 1,357,540 items in the associated folders. This is on a 7-year old iMac Retina 5K. blush

The article says it is OK to delete/empty these folders. Hmm, I'll double-check that. smirk
Posted By: Ira L Re: possible Monterey bug - 11/06/21 04:23 PM
Apparently the bug has been fixed in T2 Macs.
© FineTunedMac