Home
Posted By: joemikeb The Monterey Report - 07/01/21 07:48 PM
I am writing this on my third generation 11” iPad Pro as my newly recovered M1 Mac mini is in the midst of a seven hour migration go data from a Time Machine backup.
Originally Posted by Lesson Learned
While HDDs are cheap and more than adequate for Time Machine Bckups, a USB 3.0 connection makes for a really long restore process
Initial observations:
  1. While macOS, iOS, and iPadOS are well adapted to their specific device form factor, the migration of user interface utilities such as widgets and control panel make the transition from one to the other more and more seamless.
  2. Migration Assistant in Monterey is a huge step with more control, more options, and small but significant changes.
  3. So far the upgrade has gone surprisingly well — especially for a very early beta
  4. More to follow
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/02/21 07:02 PM
After the recovery from a failed macOS 11 update, I finally got Monterey installed and all of my data transferred. If there was any fault involved it was on my part, not the installer and not Migration Assistant.

LESSONS LEARNED:
  1. Fallback Recovery System or not: the only way to revert to a previous version of MacOS requires a second Apple computer, a USB 4/Thunderbolt 4 cable connected to the proper Thunderbolt 4 port and Apple Configurator 2.
  2. Migration Assistant is noticeably improved and has more capabilities and options for a post-installation migration, but I still strongly recommend using it as a part of the installation/reinstallation process. It worked a lot better for me that way.
  3. I will still rely on Time Machine as my primary backup tool, but this experience has taught me the value of a daily CCC clone of the data volume. It reduced the restore time by roughly an order of magnitude. Admittedly much of that was because the Time Machine backup uses a USB 3.1 Gen 1 (nee. USB 3.0) connection and the CCC clone Thunderbolt 3, but there was a lot of untangling involved in extracting the roughly 1.25 million files transferred from Time Machine's snapshots that contributed significantly.

THE MOST NOTICEABLE FEATURES:
  1. A bunch of "this app is not compatible with this release of MacOS" messages as expected
  2. A Passwords preference pane
  3. Hide My Email
Posted By: Ira L Re: The Monterey Report - 07/03/21 05:19 PM
By "previous version of MacOS" do you mean going from say, MacOS 12 to MacOS 11; or from something like MacOS 11.3 to MacOS 11.2? Or does it apply to both situations?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/03/21 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ira L
By "previous version of MacOS" do you mean going from say, MacOS 12 to MacOS 11; or from something like MacOS 11.3 to MacOS 11.2? Or does it apply to both situations?
Definitely macOS 12 to macOS 11, I don’t know for sure about macOS 11.4 to 11.3. In the first case there are incompatibilities in apps, data, backups, etc. that make reverting very difficult, and that can include firmware updates as well. In line with that, I have just learned the hard way there are situations that can cannot be recovered, even with the aid of a second computer, Apple Configurater 2, and DFU mode. My M1 mini is now in the hands of the Genius Bar. Say yes to AppleCare!
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/05/21 09:36 PM
After a second disaster (PROBABLY USER INDUCED) my mini is back from the Genius Bar fully reloaded and running macOS 12 (Monterey) on an internal drive labeled "untitled". It is not fully reloaded because I am once again having to trudge through upgrading and reinstalling the same kernel extensions that gave so much aggravation in Big Sur. There are only a few, but although they were working in macOS 11 none of them survived the upgrade to macOS 12. Fortunately the developers already have Monterey compatible beta versions, but the upgrade process is proving annoying.

Utility applications are notoriously finicky about working with early beta OS versions and that is proving true with Monterey. Surprisingly even Apple's own Software Technology Preview had to be updated to be fully compatible with Monterey and although I can't verify this, it appears the Monterey version (STP Release 127 (Safari 15.0, WebKit 17612.1.18.11.3) is won't run on Big Sur. The implication of course being there are significant {i]under the hood[/i] changes that are not readily apparent at the GUI level. I was also surprised that Rosetta did not survive the update and had to be reinstalled (instead I elected to replace the single app that does not have either universal code or an ARM only version.)

So far the third party app issues I have encountered are:
  • Gemini 2: still running with Rosetta and on my list to be replaced (Suggestions welcome)
  • SoftRAID: there is compatible 6.1 beta but the kernel extensions are proving troublesome to upgrade/install
  • SoundSource; there is a kernel extension update, but it reported compatibility issues. (Monterey has built-in support for at least a portion of SoundSource's functionality)
  • BarTender: There is a Bartender 4 beta that is Monterey compatible
  • MacCleanse: Version not tested with Monterey and won't run
  • Carbon Copy Cloner: Version 6.0.2 beta is compatible
  • SpamSieve upgrade to 2.9.44 required for Mail 15 compatibility

I have not checked every one of the 214 apps on my system so there my well be other hidden surprises, but that is the lot as of 20210705 16:38 CDT.
Not bad at all for an initial public beta.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/06/21 05:17 PM
After a good nights sleep followed by two cups of freshly ground Ethiopian single origin medium roast coffee and SoftRAID 6.1 b 2 is up and running. The only real problem turned out to be incomplete or misleading instructions for installing the new drivers. OWC has acknowledged their instructions are misleading, but so far they have made no change. By-the-way I have noticed many of the apps that require System Preferences settings adjustments are now opening the correct preference pane complete with annotations, pointer arrows, etc. to be sure users can perform the correct steps. 👍
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/07/21 03:06 PM
This is Apple's list of all the new features in Monterey that I am working my way through. Not all of them are working yet, some are waiting on support on other devices and/or servers, some are not fully implemented in the Monterey beta, others may be working but i haven't figured out a way to test — yet —, some that appear relatively minor such as changing the colof of the pointer are surprisingly useful. I will keep a log and report as I go along.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/08/21 10:42 PM
FOCUS: TRANS DEVICE DO NOT DISTURB ON STEROIDS
  • 🤔 Lets see, Quicken and DevonThink 3 are running on my Mac which means I am paying bills and don't want to be distracted, so I can receive notifications from my wife, my bank, American express, my broker, Quicken, DevonThink 3, and any time sensitive notifications. Everyone and everything else will either get a message I am busy if appropriate and otherwise sent to the Notification Center to be dealt with when I am finished and all this happens automatically.
  • Any number of other Focus conditions can be established with a huge variety of permitted or not permitted interruptions and toggled on or off on time of day/day of the week, applications in use, physical location, or manually triggered. These are shared and can be triggered via iCloud with other Macs and other devices running macOS 12, iOS 15, iPadOS 15, even TVOS 15. Custom icons on the menu bar indicate if there is an active focus and what it is.
  • EVALUATION: Depending on the individual and circumstances this could be very helpful. There are enough restrictions and exceptions to keep Focus from being too draconian so it could be realistically useful. The standard Focus conditions tend to duplicate existing system conditions, but Focus offers the opportunity for precise targeting. Useful but not a killer app.

PRIVATE RELAY
  • A feature available through iCloud+
  • Not a VPN per se. but offering one of the principle features of a VPN, IP address and location hiding, without the attendant hit to internet throughput. Imagine my surprise when What Is My IP told me I was in San Francisco, CA (when I look outside, San Francisco, CA looks amazingly like Fort Worth, TX 🤷‍♂️)
  • EVALUATION: A reasonable (the cost is covered under Apple One) and very high performance (I cannot detect any performance hit) alternative to a full blown VPN. If you want to foil trackers completely you can choose a setting that yields an IP somewhere within the United States, or you can choose the option of an IP address in your area if you want to find local services. This is a winner for the security conscious user in the United States. (As far as I know it is not yet available outside the U.S. yet, and will probably be illegal in some (many?) countries.
  • NOTE: Private relay does not fool Find My...
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/10/21 03:41 PM
UNIVERSAL CONTROL

• What Is It? Use a single keyboard, mouse, or trackpad to work between your devices. When you move from your Mac to your iPad, the cursor for your mouse or trackpad transforms from an arrow to a round dot, automatically changing shape to the one that is best suited for the device.
  • Observation: If it is enabled in this early beta i can't make it work and although there is supposed to be a Continuous Setup in System Preferences. SIdeCar is still available, but when I connect via SideCar, my left and right monitors switch places and SideCar is flaky.
  • Conclusion: Universal Control (an expansion of SideCar) is a work in process.

MAPS (macOS 12, iOS 15, IPadOS 15)

• What's New? Too many changes, many of them subtle, but all worthy enhancements.
  • Observations: Maps has finally emerged into the top tier of Navigation apps. The turn-by-turn directions (printed or online) should get almost anyone through the most complex intersection in a new city like a native. It even has a separate route planning function. There are features I would like to see, such as the ability to flag roads/routes to b avoided, but there are lots of third party apps such as InRoute that are based on Maps and offer extensive route modification features and even work in CarPlay. Speaking of that if you have the right plugin electric automobile (BMW for one) Maps even adds charging stations to the route planning.
  • Conclusion: An evolutionary winner.

HICCUP

After downloading the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner (6.0.2) I used it to create a bootable external clone of Monterey and everything proceeded normally. As expected the clone does not appear in System Preferences > Startup Disk 😠 but it does appear as a Startup option in the Recovery Drive. The system runs normally when the external boot drive is attached, but when I attempt to reboot the internal drive with the external boot drive attached the system continues to hang and reboot, hang and reboot. To recover requires powering down, disconnecting the external drive, booting the options menu and selecting the internal drive. After that everything is rock solid. I have seen a few scattered reports of problems updating when more than one bootable volume is found, but this seems different. More testing and exploration is needed than I have time or resources for so I will pass this along to Apple for further research.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 07/12/21 02:55 PM
PRIVATE RELAY
  • What is it? a part of iCloud+ and included in Apple One that changes your IP address either to a location somewhere in your immediate region or somewhere in your country and time zone. The intention being to hide your specific location from trackers.
  • Does it work? It most definitely works on the immediate location setting it says I am in Fort Worth, but a completely different ISP and my identity is a company called Cloudflare in California. If I select the "somewhere in your country time zone" I am still Cloudflare but my IP address places me in San Jose, CA. (not quite the same time zone). This provides a major part of the protection offered by a VPN with no detectable performance hit.
  • Gotcha: When I attempted to place an Amazon order with Private Relay enabled, I was unable to convince them my delivery address was not in California and that the sales taxes should be rendered in Texas, not California. Dropping back to the "Somewhere in your immediate region" solved the problem.
  • Will I use it? Yes but I wish it were included in the features that can be set on a site-by-site basis in Safari (maybe in macOS 13).
Posted By: MacManiac Re: The Monterey Report - 07/12/21 04:17 PM
As webmaster for a different website than FTM, I had some experience with the Cloudflare service...and it was mixed. Their service provides a distributed mirror that allows more immediate intervention if there is a security issue detected, and also provides a more timely response time for the website through localization at many different server farms. This is a simplification of some of the many services that are provided, but it can provide a framework for how they are providing Apple with their Private Relay feature.....

In my case, I had to discontinue my implementation of the Cloudflare feature set as there were too many instances where the DNS system became confused and dropped our site so some folks were unable to access it at different times. I believe this to be something that they will address and correct going forward, and with Apple (the 900 # gorilla) watching over their shoulder, I would bet $$$ on the Private Relay feature working just fine.
Posted By: joemikeb The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 08/13/21 06:21 PM
BETA 5

I just installed Monterey beta 5 and realized the last two beta releases have been non-events because they went so smoothly and there have been no significant issues to deal with (other than between my ears blush). There are still some applications that are not compatible and don't even have a Monterey compatible beta including anything from Rogue Amoeba, Micromat, and Koingo. But those are all utilities dependent on kernel extensions or shell commands and in the latter case incompatibility often stems from an abundance of caution on the part of the developer. Productivity and Entertainment apps that run in Big Sur have all run equally well in Monterey.

AS TO THE NEW FEATURES IN MONTEREY…
  • the FaceTime enhancements use the facial recognition hardware and are therefore unavailable on my Mac mini — until Apple releases their rumored monitor with facial recognition and then only if I can afford it.
  • I really like Safari's new look and feel.
  • Focus will be a God send for many of us, but it takes setting up and intentional use. I find I am still tweaking the various Focuses and their options. They work well — when I remember to use them.
  • Quick Note is essentially Notes but available within other applications.
  • Tags more accurately hashtags within Notes/Quick Notes as a means of grouping related Notes/Quick Notes. A feature I would like to see extended to any and all data files and folders (macOS 13 perhaps?)
  • Universal Control "A single keyboard and mouse or trackpad now work seamlessly between your Mac and iPad — they’ll even connect to more than one Mac or iPad. Move your cursor from your Mac to your iPad, type on your Mac and watch the words show up on your iPad, or even drag and drop content from one Mac to another." Still a but of a work-in-process, but has definite possibilities.
  • AirPlay to Mac Nice enhancement to AirPlay. IMHO it makes AirPlay much more useful and it is easier to use.
  • Live Text in Photos OCR without OCRing the image. Very useful and handy. My question is why is this only available in Photos?
  • Shortcuts App An extension of Siri Shortcuts. Another level of automation
  • Maps A significant upgrade visually and functionally, but it is still limited to point-to-point navigation and third party apps like inRoute or Road Trip Planner are needed for complex multi-day/multi-stop routing. Both of those apps rely on Maps for routing and the improvements in Maps has also improved their routing as well.
  • Privacy Some significant new features fall under the rubric of Privacy including Private Relay, Hide My Email, Login with your Apple ID, and Apple Pay all of which hide your actual ID and location when you are on-line. Not a full-blown VPN, but accomplishing the essential security elements of a VPN with little or no performance hit.
  • System Wide Translation even in many third party apps. And the most commonly translated languages can be downloaded and translated entirely on your Mac without having to send anything over the net.
  • Digital Legacy Digital Legacy program lets you designate people as Legacy Contacts so they can access your account in the event of your death. At my age that is a consideration.

IS MONTEREY A WORTHWHILE UPGRADE? IMHO Yes.

SHOULD YOU WAIT FOR MACOS 12.2 OR 12.3 BEFORE UPGRADING? Based on the stability I have seen in the last two betas 12.0 is as stable and solid as macOS 10.15.2 and more stable than macOS 11.2. There are one or two things I had hoped to see in Monterey, but it now appear more likely they aren't going to happen until macOS 13.
Posted By: artie505 Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 08/13/21 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
AirPlay to Mac Nice enhancement to AirPlay. IMHO it makes AirPlay much more useful and it is easier to use.
Does this incarnation of AirPlay perpetuate the ability to play through an AirPort Express Base Station? (I assume that a yes answer would confirm the continued existence of AirPort Utility.)
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 08/13/21 08:43 PM
In a word YES Airplay still offers Airplay to Airport Express, and the copy of Airport Utility on my Monterey system has a creation date of August 7, 2021.😮‍💨
Posted By: artie505 Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 08/13/21 11:44 PM
In a word YES Airplay still offers Airplay to Airport Express, and the copy of Airport Utility on my Monterey system has a creation date of August 7, 2021.😮‍💨
Can't get much more current than that! smile

Thanks.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report - 08/21/21 02:31 PM
FYI Other World Computing is running a series of weekly "how to" articles about the new features in Monterey (macOS 10.12). Not a lot of detail, but explaining what the feature is, why you might use it, and how to use it. This week's article is on Airplay To Mac.
Posted By: artie505 Re: The Monterey Report - 08/22/21 08:37 AM
Thanks for the link.

I can see AirPlay To Mac being quite useful, but my sole need for AirPlay is to send music to my stereo via my Airport Express Base Station.

I can very realistically anticipate never needing the new functionality, but I"ll certainly keep it in mind to recommend to others.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 08/26/21 11:11 PM
I SPOKE TOO SOON

MacOS 12.0 Beta 5 has developed a habit of crashing and restarting every night, and occasionally locking up during the day to the point I am forced to resort to an Option Boot to restore full utility. A simple reboot and even a cold boot doesn't yield a stable system. Both conditions first appeared with beta 5.

Another interesting observation is that while iOS/iPadOS 15 beta releases have generally been closely synched with macOS 12 releases through beta 5, iOS and iPadOS are now on beta 7 and macOS is still on beta 5. I don't know what it portends, but I don't recall the various OS betas ever getting this far out of synch???
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 6 - 09/02/21 12:14 AM
MONTEREY BETA 6

Monterey beta 6 is came out together with iOS and iPadOS 15 beta 8 so it is still two betas behind schedule. 🤷‍♂️

There are some notable items:
  • Sidecar: is missing from System Preferences. Its functionality is supposed to be replaced by Universal Control. 🤔
  • Display Preference Pane: Nicely redone with IMHO significantly improved controls, especially if you have multiple monitors (this is where Universal Control is supposed to be lodged) 😀
  • Universal Control: a highly touted feature of Monterey was working in beta 4, albeit a bit flakey at times, but it has disappeared in beta 6. Rumors are that it won't make the full Monterey release but likely will show up in an update. 🤷‍♂️
  • LaunchPad: I have all of my apps arranged in carefully curated "groups". Perhaps I need to re-frame that in the past tense. Some of my groups are now empty of any applications, won't go away, and resist having apps move into them, while other groups are growing and apps are moving to them on their own. Similar to how apps are grouped in the Application Library in iOS and iPadOS. So far I have not discovered a way to disable this behavior. My only consolation is the Application Library in iOS/iPadOS is getting pretty good at grouping. On the other hand I used to know where everything was and now I don't. 🤬
  • Safari: I adapted to multiple mini-address bars at the top of the window and I particularly like the "preview" windows that appear as I mouse over them. It changes the way I interact with Safari and in the final analysis it is working out to be better and more functional. The difference does take some getting use to however. 😎

FOOTNOTES: I thought I had discovered the cause of the nightly reboots in beta 5. The indicators seemed to point to I/O issues of one sort or another so I removed the only third party kernel extension extant last evening (SoftRAID), but this morning my mini had spontaneously(?) rebooted once again. Hopefully I will get through tonight without a reboot after installing beta 6. 🤞

That's my story to date and I am sticking with it.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 6 - 09/09/21 05:43 PM
SLOWLY SLOWLY

Apparently third party developers encountered few issues upgrading to Apple Silicon. I have less than six X86 only apps remaining and those are almost exclusively associated with "add-on" functions for ScanSnap Home and would not be missed if they were deleted. Everything else is now Universal (X86/ARM) code. There are even some ARM only apps that were written for the iPad, but will run on M1 Macs.

Monterey (macOS 12) compatibility on the other hand…
  1. The great majority of apps continued to run in Monterey without need for updates 👍
  2. UI modifiers*¹ have for the most part been running with limited beta versions and are just now coming out with full Monterey compatibility. 👌
  3. Apps that use Unix commands*² for the most part either will not run, or run with limited functionality and are still awaiting Monterey updates/upgrades
  4. Service and repair Apps:*³ either refuse to run or run with warnings 👎
  5. Apps that use kernel extensions*⁴ are struggling.🤞 (Rogue Ameoba has "initial" compatibility for two if its seven apps (and is leaving the App Store), and SoftRAID has a functioning beta but it still does not support APFS.)*⁵

In Monterey, it appears the closer developers get to the hardware the more difficult it becomes. That speaks well for Monterey's security systems but at the same time puts more pressure on Apple to provide tools like the long promised extensions toolkit. I suspect Apple's Universal Access developers are running into some of the same issues which would explain the rumors it will not be in the initial macOS 12 release. I also suspect having to develop for both Intel and ARM Macs isn't helping either. I have to wonder how much this has to do with macOS running two beta releases behind the other Apple operating systems.

Footnotes:
  1. Bartender, Better Touch Tool, Keyboard Maestro, et. al.
  2. MacPilot, OnyX, TinkerTool System…
  3. MaCleanse, TechTool Pro…
  4. SoftRAID, anything by Rogue Amoeba
  5. Apple is supposed to be releasing a "kit" that will permit extensions to run in the user space but there is no evidence that it is available to developers — yet.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 09/09/21 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
Does this incarnation of AirPlay perpetuate the ability to play through an AirPort Express Base Station? (I assume that a yes answer would confirm the continued existence of AirPort Utility.)

Just to put your mind even more at ease Airport Utility is now Universal code. (By-the-way I still rely on an Time Capsule and three Airport Express units to support a 2.4GHz WiFi network for HomeKit devices that don't play nice with 5GHz or Mesh networks, so I am interested too.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 09/09/21 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
Just to put your mind even more at ease Airport Utility is now Universal code. (By-the-way I still rely on an Time Capsule and three Airport Express units to support a 2.4GHz WiFi network for HomeKit devices that don't play nice with 5GHz or Mesh networks, so I am interested too.)
Great news for both of us, then!

Thanks. smile
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 09/15/21 12:41 PM
iOS and iPadOS 15 Gold Masters are out, macOS still stuck at beta??? 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 5 - 09/21/21 08:23 PM
Beta 7 has been released to Developers. Public beta testers should get it tomorrow or the next day. 🤞
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 7 - 09/23/21 04:40 PM
🤞I've got my fingers crossed and hoping I am not speaking too soon, but macOS 12 beta 7 feels like a winner. Unlike beta 6 it has been completely stable, and for lack of a more techie description, I have to say it feels solid and smooth. No more inexplicable I/O pauses, snappier responses overall, no more crossing fingers hoping something is going to complete, in other words beta 7 feels like it it is very close to being ready for prime time. Handoff between the iPad and Mac works well, but Universal Control's Cursor and Keyboard handoff has been removed from macOS 12 and iPadOS 15.1. (Maybe to reappear in a later update.) After a very rocky beta 5 and little improvement in beta 6, beta 7 is a welcome relief!

On the third party app front:
  • CCC has gone through a few bug fix betas and continues to work reliably and well. Yes it will produce a bootable clone, but there are definite limits imposed by Apple and macOS 11 and 12 that make such clones significantly less useful IMHO.
  • SoftRAID has a beta release that works and at long last comprehends APFS, but there is an ongoing issue that can cause SoftRAID to think a drive in the array has failed. OWC is convinced the problem is in macOS, but Apple has yet to be convinced they own the problem.
  • Rogue Amoeba claims inititial Monterey compatibility for 3 of their 7 products.
  • Micromat supports Apple silicon on some of its products but is silent on Monterey
  • Marcel Bresink's Tinkertool System runs on Monterey but APFS features are disabled
  • Everything else I have either was Monterey compatible from the get-go or has been updated to Monterey (and universal code).
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 10 - 10/16/21 08:08 PM
Take my eye off the ball for a few days and Monterey is at beta 10.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: The Monterey Report Beta 10 - 10/24/21 08:00 PM
SUMMARY

Monterey (macOS 12) is scheduled for full release tomorrow October 25, 2021. My Current status is…
  • I have no remaining incompatible apps (Rogue Amoeba just completed updating their last app and SoftRAID has a running gold master scheduled for Tuesday release)
  • Montrerey compatilble Etrecheck pro delivered an almost cleanbill of health (there are still a couple of unsigned apps but they run just fine in the Monterey gold master)
  • My system is rock solid stable and has been for days now.
  • the learning curve has been steeper than I expected, but much of that has been subsumed in subsequent betas.
  • The average user should encounter few surprises but the power user may find some additional security related changes and those who stick with or reverted to Big Sur will find they have a steeper learning curve to climb.
  • There are new features in Monterey that add significant utility for power users although it may take some rethinking to take full advantage of them.
  • One major feature, Universal Control, did not make it into macOS 12 — list it among Coming Attractions.
  • For clone fans there is no change from Big Sur nor is any change expected either by CCC or SD. (Once Apple gets moving kernel extensions into the user rather than system area that may improve but given the multi-tiered boot structure I am not about to hold my breath waiting on bootable clones as we knew them in Mac OS X).

OPINION

Monterey is a significant step in the macOS evolution and certainly the most secure version yet. The new features are well thought out, and useful, but not particularly exciting.

SHOULD YOU UPGRADE?

I would, of course, say YES. The step to the next macOS 13(?) will only get higher.

THIS THREAD HAS OUTLIVED WHATEVER USEFULNESS IT HAD, IF ANY, SO I AM GOING TO CLOSE IT AT THIS POINT. IF YOU WISH TO RECORD YOUR OWN INSTALLATION SUCCESSES OR PROBLEMS THOSE CAN GO IN THREADS OF THEIR OWN.
© FineTunedMac