Home
Posted By: joemikeb macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/08/21 09:04 PM
…I guess I will have to redo all that testing AGAIN! shocked I think seven betas for a single macOS update is a new record, and generally not the kind of record you want to break crazy
Posted By: Ira L Re: macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/09/21 05:07 PM
True, but giving the outstanding issues with the M1 Macs, maybe they really want to get it right this time. grin
Posted By: Ira L Re: macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/09/21 05:18 PM
This info on SSD failure appeared in a MacInTouch post:
The papers largely focus on enterprise and cloud-scale systems and tell a consistent story. The main cause of data loss is NAND flash die failures.

Most flash chips consist of two dies packaged together, and when failures occur, it's typically a single die that fails. While individual NAND flash cells have a limited number of writes, mitigation strategies in modern SSD controllers ensures those limits are rarely reached.

In a 256GB SSD today, there could be as few as 16 dies on 8 chips. Lose a single die and there goes ≈16GB of data. Better than a disk drive head crash that destroys the entire drive, but sub-optimal.

Apple engineers are aware of the SPOF problem, as evidenced by their decision to create not one but two recovery volumes on the SSD. Maybe they were even smart enough to ensure that those volumes are spread across different dies in separate chips.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/09/21 08:26 PM
I haven't retested cloning since the release of macOS 11.3 beta 7, but It didn't take long to discover there are still a LOT of issues/bugs remaining, at least on M1 Macs. The issues I am personally aware of revolve around external drives particularly those that are bootable, so I don't have high hopes for the outstanding cloning issues. Hopefully some, if not all, of these bugs will be squashed in macOS 11.3 beta 8. (I am beginning to wonder if I might be running a macOS 12 beta before macOS 11.4 emerges from beta.)
Posted By: joemikeb Re: macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/09/21 09:41 PM
I just spent an hour retesting and from what I can tell macOS 11.3 beta 7 did not fix any of the issues with external boot drives, be they clones or clean installs. 😞
Posted By: joemikeb Re: macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/14/21 06:45 PM
As of this morning we are up to beta 8 across all the variants.
Posted By: artie505 Re: macOS 11.3 beta 7 is up - 04/19/21 03:16 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if Apple hasn't bitten off a bit more than they can chew with their simultaneous release of a newly configured OS and an entirely new hardware platform.
© FineTunedMac