Home
Posted By: joemikeb Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 03:49 PM
HEADS UP

Because of my penchant for testing software, I upgrade/update frequently. On three recent occasions when the update/upgrade completed my login password failed to work. It wasn't until the third time I figured out what was happening - the keyboard had switched to another language. The fix was simple, just click on the language flag on the menu bar and change it back to English. I wish I had figured this out sooner it would have saved me many hours of near panic, several reinstalls, and a lot of work correcting things.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 04:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up. How did the language switch happen?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 04:47 PM
For those who are unaware of it, if you've got only one language selected in System Prefs > Keyboard > Input Sources, your menu bar flag is a generic one that remains static should your language unilaterally change as joemike's did, but if you arbitrarily select any second language, the flag becomes specific to your first choice language, and any change is obvious.

I"ve always had a second language selected because I prefer to see the stars & bars, rather than Apple's ugly generic icon, in my menu bar, but I now know that my aesthetic sensibilities actually serve a functional purpose. (Way back when, your flag was that of your current language, and I"ve never understood why Apple switched to the generic one.)

How'd ya figger it out?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by jchuzi
Thanks for the heads up. How did the language switch happen?
In a word, “I have no idea”, especially since it switched to German and IIRC I have never had the German keyboard or language ever turned on. Spanish, or English (UK) maybe since as a good Texan I do speak un poco Espanol and watch Britbox, but no German?
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 07:47 PM
At least it didn't switch to the Pig Latin keyboard. grin
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by jchuzi
At least it didn't switch to the Pig Latin keyboard. grin

🤦🏻‍♂️ (where’s the groan emoji when I need one?)
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by artie505
How'd ya figger it out?

Pure happenstance, I just happened to glance up at the menu bar and noticed the German flag, after that intuition took over.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Installation/Upgrade Heads Up - 11/18/20 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by artie505
How'd ya figger it out?

Pure happenstance, I just happened to glance up at the menu bar and noticed the German flag, after that intuition took over.
Good thing you're running the "hack" or you may never have figgered it out.
© FineTunedMac