Home
Posted By: kevs Mac waking up and not shutting down - 10/11/20 10:46 PM
Combo of unresolved issues:

1-I bought new Belkin, A quality new power surge, still imac 27", 4 years old, wakes up from sleep every few days, this is in my room. Laptop also same but that is in other room.. Could go 5 days without doing that, but when does real annoying.

2- And to shut down imac, need 2 shutdowns, the first shutdown acts as a reboots, wont shut down, but 2nd shut down shuts down, real nuisance.

Thanks.

I don't except 1 or 2 to be solved, here, but you never know.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Mac waking up and not shutting down - 10/12/20 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by kevs
1-I bought new Belkin, A quality new power surge, still imac 27", 4 years old, wakes up from sleep every few days, this is in my room. Laptop also same but that is in other room.. Could go 5 days without doing that, but when does real annoying.
In System Preferences > Energy Saver are "Wake for network access" and "Start up automatically after a power failure" both turned OFF?
Posted By: kevs Re: Mac waking up and not shutting down - 10/12/20 03:42 PM
Joe thanks, the wake up for network access was off but the start up after power failure was checked so I'll uncheck it.

But you agree, probably not power failure walking up the computers? Probably some other hiccup?

Also, you don't have any idea on the shut down taking two rounds issue?
Posted By: artie505 Re: Mac waking up and not shutting down - 10/12/20 04:08 PM
Maybe not power failures per se, but just momentary glitches like when the lights blink off and back on?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Mac waking up and not shutting down - 10/12/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by kevs
But you agree, probably not power failure walking up the computers? Probably some other hiccup?
On the contrary, minor power dropouts are my prime, in fact ONLY, suspect. A surge protector provides zero protection from momentary dropouts and they are far more common than most of us realize. The only protection from dropouts would be an Uninterruptable Power Supply with its own battery.

Originally Posted by keys
Also, you don't have any idea on the shut down taking two rounds issue?
I have seen that behavior, but I never figured out what caused it. It invariably went away with a subsequent update to the OS.
© FineTunedMac