Home
Posted By: ryck Mojave 10.14.6 getting forgetful - 07/13/20 12:41 PM
Gee, should I worry when my OS starts to mimic me?

I've found in the last while that, if I re-file documents, Mojave isn't keeping track of where they went. And, it isn't just when a long time has passed. I recently re-filed some documents and when I tried to pull them up, using "Open Recent", the software said it couldn't locate the file and asked if I'd like to give it a shot.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Mojave 10.14.6 getting forgetful - 07/13/20 02:26 PM
Sounds like a directory error. Run Repair Disk from Disk Utility and see if that helps. You could also rebuild the Spotlight index
Posted By: ryck Re: Mojave 10.14.6 getting forgetful - 07/13/20 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Run Repair Disk from Disk Utility and see if that helps. You could also rebuild the Spotlight index

On your advice, I've done both. When I ran Disk Utility from the MacHDD it ran though 20 snapshots and continuously had the message "error:directory valence check:directory oid 0x130063: nchildren (2) does not match drec count (0)

I ran Spotlight Index and it seemed to be very fast, so I also rebuilt the directory with OnyX...and it seemed very fast (almost instantaneous)

Then I booted in Recovery and ran DU in repair mode. The previous message was replaced with: fsck_apfs-n-l-x/dev/rdisk2s1 When done, DU said everything was fine.

I rebooted into my macHDD and reran DU. The previous message had disappeared and it confirmed everything was fine.

However, when I tried to index Spotlight in the prescribed fashion, it cautioned: "Are you sure you want to prevent Spotlight from searching in macHDD. If you exclude this location from Spotlight searches, the search feature won't work in some applications."

So, I went back to OnyX and it did it, again very fast.

So, all in all, I guess things have worked out. Thanks.
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Mojave 10.14.6 getting forgetful - 07/14/20 09:35 AM
I'm glad that it worked out well for you! smile
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Mojave 10.14.6 getting forgetful - 07/21/20 03:04 PM
Geez . . . I have been asleep at the wheel. I didn't realize that REPAIR DISK in DU had been brought back!
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Mojave 10.14.6 getting forgetful - 07/21/20 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: MG2009
Geez . . . I have been asleep at the wheel. I didn't realize that REPAIR DISK in DU had been brought back!
I didn't know that it ever disappeared. In past years, DU was weak in this regard and I relied on Disk Warrior. Now that, it appears, DW may never be updated for APFS, I'm happy to see that DU has evidently been strengthened.
© FineTunedMac