Home
Posted By: MG2009 Locked Folders - 06/27/19 01:40 PM
Is there any way to LOCK a folder within my Home Folder that has a different Password to unlock?
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Locked Folders - 06/27/19 04:33 PM
One way would be an encrypted compression of the file. Zip, 7Zip, and RAR compression all support encryption but you will need an app like Archiver 3. another possibility would be to create an encrypted .dmg file using Disk Utility and place the file in that.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Locked Folders - 07/01/19 04:01 PM
RE: create an encrypted .dmg file using Disk Utility and place the file in that

-------------------

So, how does one do this? Is there a link somewhere?

Posted By: jchuzi Re: Locked Folders - 07/01/19 04:22 PM
How To Create an Encrypted Disk Image
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Locked Folders - 07/01/19 05:41 PM
PERFECT. Exactly what I was looking for!
Posted By: artie505 Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 10:31 AM
CAVEAT: If you screw up with your password your data is gone FOREVER!
Posted By: jchuzi Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: artie505
The solution, of course, is to write the password on a piece of paper and tape it to the computer. grin tongue
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 02:02 PM

Good point, however there are ways to reduce that risk:
  • Store the password in keychain
  • Save the password in a third party password manager such as 1Password

In Catalina either of those solutions would make it possible to open the file with fingerprint identification 👍

ave or Catalina and your drive is formatted APFS, use an encrypted APFS volume instead of a dmg and you can set it up to be opened with its own password, your Apple ID & Password, or a "key" created when the volume is created
Posted By: artie505 Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 03:36 PM
It's always seemed to me that storing the password in keychain is counterproductive as respects the basic reason for encryption.

Whenever this topic comes up I'm reminded of a V1 post many years ago in which he detailed his machinations to scope out a password after he somehow managed to enter and verify one other than the one he had intended to use.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 04:33 PM
So convenient. I also have my P.I.N. on the back of my credit card. NOT! smirk
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 04:35 PM
Agreed.

If anyone is able to hack "whatever" password manager (e.g. keychain), then all the effort for content security has been wasted.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 04:50 PM
Keychain doesn't even need to be hacked; it enters your password automatically.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Locked Folders - 07/02/19 06:08 PM
Keychain doesn't even need to be hacked; it enters your password automatically.

Catalina requires your fingerprint to open the keychain every time it is accessed. The exception is when the file/folder/volume password is the same as your account login password. Authentication/verification is also required before filling in a site login and/or password in Safari.

I have had to move my beloved coffee cup to assure a clean reach to the right end of the Touch Bar on my MBP. I now find myself eagerly anticipating facial recognition on the Mac.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Locked Folders - 07/03/19 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Catalina requires your fingerprint to open the keychain every time it is accessed.

On top of the cost of a touch bar MBP and the fact that I can see no need in my computing life for a touch bar, that's a compellingly intrusive reason for me to never buy an MBP that's got one unless there's a way to opt out of the "feature."
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Locked Folders - 07/03/19 04:10 AM
Using one's fingerprint with the TOUCHBAR feature is still an option, I believe. The traditional alpha-numeric password process can still be used, if preferred . . . which is what I do.

FWIW: Same goes (for me) with face or eyeball recognition when that day comes. I won't even use SIRI because it keeps voice records of any/all requests made . . . until "she" at some interval (?) decides to delete such records to make space for new ones. Or so the story goes . . . "George Orwell on Line One."

tongue
Posted By: artie505 Re: Locked Folders - 07/03/19 04:24 AM
Agreed...100%

"...still an option...." conjures up horrible possibilities.

I think we're getting close to needing an OS for people who are capable of minding their own affairs and don't want Apple doing it for them!!!
Posted By: ryck Re: Locked Folders - 07/03/19 02:33 PM
I think we're getting close to needing an OS for people who are capable of minding their own affairs and don't want Apple doing it for them!!!

Amen to that.
Posted By: MG2009 Re: Locked Folders - 07/15/19 06:23 AM
Re: Encrypted DMG and Time Machine . . .

-------------------

UPDATE: Just a little extra info.

Time Machine backs up the encrypted DMG. Unfortunately, one cannot enter Time Machine and view the DMG contents in the way one can any other folder backed up. I thought perhaps, while in Time Machine, I might be asked to enter the password to unlock and view the encrypted folder's contents. Not so.

The info in the DMG is backed up any time a backup is done. HOWEVER, If one needs to retrieve something from the backed up DMG "folder", the entire DMG has to be "restored" - replace or save both back to the main computer - and then the contents can be viewed, as usual.

FWIW: One work-around of sorts is to keep the DMG small.

(I made mine 5GBs and, currently, there is 3.5 GBs being used. When I want to retrieve a file or folder from it, I have to allow the time it takes to restore all 5GBs - total used and unused space of the DMG.)
© FineTunedMac