Home
Posted By: Me-and-MyMac Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine - 02/08/18 12:06 AM
Would like to know if I can back up my HD on LeCie using CCC and Now other is Backup my USB ( pictures and some data ) on Time Machine, does both have to be on different External HD ( EHD ) or one EHD?

Thank You
Posted By: artie505 Re: Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine - 02/08/18 09:37 AM
Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

You can have a CCC backup and a Time Machine backup on the same external drive as long as each backup is on a separate partition.

If your drive isn't partitioned already, you can do it with Disk Utility > Partition. Be sure to size your partitions so they've got plenty of room to grow as the amount of data to be backed up grows so you don't get caught short down the road and possibly lose data.
Posted By: joemikeb Re: Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine - 02/08/18 02:50 PM
Just to add to what Artie said, the rule of thumb for a Time Machine backup is the Time Machine volume (drive or partition) should be 3 times the size of the drive being backed up.

CAUTION: with both Time Machine and Clone on the same drive you are placing all of your backup eggs in the same basket. If that drive fails you lose both backup sets.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine - 02/08/18 03:44 PM
An additional caution: partitioning your drive may necessitate the erasure of all data on it, so be sure that you can afford to lose whatever's on it before you start.
Posted By: Me-and-MyMac Re: Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine - 02/11/18 02:32 AM
Got it clearly and many Thanks for help,
Ron
© FineTunedMac